Is anybody else troubled with Lightroom 2.2's memory leak?

I tried Windows 7 the day after it came out. It's really nice and would say it gives even xp a run for its money even on a older computer.

im running mac os 10.5.6 with 2gb of ram on a 1st generation macbook.. I have the Adobe CS4 master suite (including lightroom 2.2) no problems at all.. all the apps work really well

I've got a 3GHz Intel Core Duo, 4gb ram, 1gb on the vid card, and 32 bit XP. After about 30 min to an hour LR2.1 locks up on me (just the program, not the computer), but all it requires is a restart, and everything is good for another hour or so. I only lose my very last input.

I upgraded to LR2.2 and it was worse. The lockup occurred about as often, but upon restart I had lost all input since I started the session. I immediately went back to 2.1.

I'm having no problems with Bridge, CS4, or Camera Raw.

I've read several posts claiming that some people are able to "unlock" the program merely by minimizing and restoring. This doesn't work for me.

I used to use ACR only, and couldn't see much advantage for me to use LR, but now I would have a hard time giving up the LR adjustment brush and graduated filter. Sure I can do it on CS4, but having everything I need to process about 95% of my photos on one screen and doing it all in one step sure speeds up my workflow.

Last edited:
I have LR2.2. When I check for updates, it says my software is up to date.

I have LR2.2. When I check for updates, it says my software is up to date.

right, 2.3 is a "release candidate" which means it may still have bugs. The LR updater will only detect full releases. You'll have to go to Adobe to download the release candidate.

Hummm. I think I'll wait until the bugs are out.

I used LR RC 2.3 to edit 60+ photos yesterday, with no hiccups. VERY fast, and used very little RAM. Ah, this is what I liked about Lightroom pre-2.2.

I run XP 64 8gigs current version. Lightroom worked fine in 2.1 but slow. upgraded to 2.2 and a while later computer shuts off in all modes of operation...even folder sorting in Library. Adobe support said this "
Lightroom# 2 is not certified for the 64-bit edition of Windows XP so
you will encounter issues for which there is no resolution. Lightroom 2
is certified for the 64-bit editions of Windows Vista.
Lightroom is not directly capable of shutting down a computer but this
issue could occur if Lightroom attempts to interact with damaged
hardware or a damaged driver. Contact your computer manufacturer or
system administrator to troubleshoot hardware and driver issues." NICE!
I did MSCONFIG and started with bare min. drivers....LR workled fine. I'm in the slow process of turning on startup services to find culprit. I think it's my ATI RAdeon 4670 ICE card causing the problem but we will see It's fairly new with new driver. I do have to say that when I installed the 64bit version of LR it was incredibly fast until it crashed. I'm now testing Windows 7 64bit. Watch out if you use PostScript fonts with the more recent Win OPS or Adobe CS4...may be problems Adobe support gave me the 1 finger salute. As soon as my 5DMKll arrives I'll really be in for it. Hope this gives you insight.

Last edited:
Wow, I am so chillin' with my XP-64 and NO issues with LR 2.2 and today, I really pushed it... I had LR going with CS3 and MS Virtual PCs running 2 Server 2008 servers... it loaded slowly but once loaded, it ran 90% of it's normal speed, and never crashed or anything.

The only times I've ever seen Lightroom even slow down a little is when I had a bloated catalog. Weeding down the catalog fixed it.

Intel Quad Core 3.3Ghz
4GB Memory
Vista-64
... Runs smooth as butter... No problems for me (Running LR v2.2)

Everyone that I've talked to that was having problems with 2.2 says so far no probs with 2.3. I've got too much work to finish to be fiddling with software right now, so I'm sticking with 2.1 until I finish. Then I'll try 2.3. Even with the software locking up every hour or so, Lightroom is still so fast to work with that I'm getting more done.

I used LR RC 2.3 to edit 60+ photos yesterday, with no hiccups. VERY fast, and used very little RAM. Ah, this is what I liked about Lightroom pre-2.2.

Nice that they seemed to have resolved the issue for you. Since I don't seem to be having issues, before upgrading, I'll wait until they make a full release that is installed via the updating service.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back