Is anyone else a bit frustrated?

Hey I shoot both and can't argue that digital is more convenient. I just like the look of film better.

And film may not be standing still. Pretty soon there will be a nano particle color film emulsion. It will revolutionise film when it happens, methinks.

I think even though digital will get better and better, its actually the imperfections (the grain and whatnot) of film that draws many of us to it. You'll never be able to make digital emulate an analog process, no matter what. If you need proof, just look at digital tube amp simulators for guitars.

Nano particle ... really ... now that is progress. But wouldn't that give a clean look ala digital??? Don't want to hijack this thread ... just wondering.

Gary

Film is a dead-end solution! Kodak doesn't even make b/w chemistry or paper anymore.

They haven't made the chems for many decades. They bought them from Clayton Chemicals, and put their label on them.

http://www.claytonchem.com

I use traditional, hybrid, and digital workflows, but if you really "like grains over pixels" then you should try 100% traditional printing. Enlargers and darkroom gear are dirt cheap.

I use traditional, hybrid, and digital workflows, but if you really "like grains over pixels" then you should try 100% traditional printing. Enlargers and darkroom gear are dirt cheap.

Yeah but I have nowhere really to do darkroom work in a shared student flat. There are darkrooms available to me. I just don't know how much actual printing I will be doing. When I do decide to print certain shots, I will do it traditionally.

I think there's something to be said about directing photons from a specific moment in time and having them react with silver. It's a physical capture of a specific moment. It's not a recreation. It's not an emulation. It's a way of physically capturing something. Like using old reel to reel tape to record an album (by far a better sound than digital).

Then being able to take that frozen moment and personally preserve it and prepare it for sharing (or not) is awesome to me.

Cigrainger, that was a perfect and illuminating expression of the power that film photography holds over me too! And beautifully said. I was trying to express it to myself just the other day, to 'justify' my passion for film, but you said it for me. I have a digital camera, which I like. But the ones I love are my Canon EOS Elan 7ne and the used Pentax MX that I just bought. Direct physical capture vs. overprocessed and overthought recreation, Yeah. :thumbup:

Me like loading film in a dark bag
Me like loading film into the camera
Me like waiting for the prefect moment
Me like the sound of metal scraping aganist metal.
Me like to wind take the film out of camera
Me like to develop the film
Me like to scan the negative and do stuff

Me don't no nuthin bout lectrons and pros

ME JUST LIKE SHOOTING FILM everything about it connects me to the past. I can feel the ghosts looking over my shoulder everytime I pull a dark slide.

Sorry got to go take my meds.

Cigrainger:

I stand firm on the 15 minute/low humidity statement. An hour or more drying time is not necessary with modern film bases and emulsions. Hang the film vertically. Use a weighted bottom clip.

Cigrainger:

I stand firm on the 15 minute/low humidity statement. An hour or more drying time is not necessary with modern film bases and emulsions. Hang the film vertically. Use a weighted bottom clip.

Awesome. Makes me even more excited to develop at home! :thumbup: Thanks. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back