Is anyone here SUPER savvy at the inner workings of CS5?? What the hell is going on??

Hmm... That could be possible.

e.rose, I was indeed talking about a blank layer in which you apply the image.
If this does not help the color space might actually be a good thing to look at.
Just check the Image>Mode menu to see what it is at (RGB, CMYK, LAB, etc). If it's not at RGB try setting it to RGB and see if that changes the image in the same way... If so: There's your problem.

Ps. You can upload psd files to file upload sites, not sure which ones are popular nowadays but there should be loads of them around (I think mediafire is one?). Uploading a public file to dropbox would work too.

or maybe one is cmyk and being converted to rgb or vice versa?

One what?

What I meant is maybe lightroom is set for rgb and psd is set for cmyk (for example) and when you're importing the file it's converting it and making it wacky.. just a thought, maybe not..

Are you using LR 4?

As bhop noted, it does sound like a color space issue.

Hmm... That could be possible.

e.rose, I was indeed talking about a blank layer in which you apply the image.
If this does not help the color space might actually be a good thing to look at.
Just check the Image>Mode menu to see what it is at (RGB, CMYK, LAB, etc). If it's not at RGB try setting it to RGB and see if that changes the image in the same way... If so: There's your problem.

Ps. You can upload psd files to file upload sites, not sure which ones are popular nowadays but there should be loads of them around (I think mediafire is one?). Uploading a public file to dropbox would work too.

or maybe one is cmyk and being converted to rgb or vice versa?

One what?

What I meant is maybe lightroom is set for rgb and psd is set for cmyk (for example) and when you're importing the file it's converting it and making it wacky.. just a thought, maybe not..

Okay, let's just pretend for a second that Lightroom isn't part of the equation.

That isn't my issue, because it's only happening in Photoshop.

The only reason I included the part about Lightroom was because I was explaining my whole process and essentially how I deduced that LR wasn't the issue........ because while still working with a .psd in PS, if I save as *from PS* as a JPEG... the craziness still happens.

Lightroom is indeed a different colorspace than PS. It's ProPhoto... and I have PS set to sRGB... but again, that's not my issue.

I understand why it looks slightly different from LR to photoshop when I first export from LR to photoshop... but what I'm not getting is why the Overlay layer *in Photoshop* is affecting how the image looks when flattened... :lol:

@Judo I'm trying to finish something up here, but I'll PM you in a bit :) Also, apply image resulted in the same thing.

Like I said, it's *better* now that I've reinstalled PS... but it's still happening a little bit. I'm able to correct it now using layers and curves after merging up... however at this point, I just want to know what it is about the overlay layer that causes things to shift after flattening the image. :lol:

Oh? Would you please elaborate on that? Are you referring to Lightroom's Develop module?

Perhaps the issue is Lightroom 4 and CS 5 use different Process Versions of ACR, though LR 4 can be configured to use the same PV that CS 5 uses.
LR 4 - PV 2012 - ACR 7
CS 5 - PV 2010 - ACR 6

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/graphics-programs-photo-gallery/319836-lightroom-process-versions.html

Yeah, sure Keith. I find that in my experiences, Lightroom excels at handling multiple images whereas Adobe PS does not. Is that satisfactory for you?

Photoshop vs Lightroom was never a question, so why mess up this thread with useless discussions and feedbacks? "why use LR?" ...How does comments like that help the OP?

Anyways... this is not 100% same as some problems I had, but looks like it could be caused by the same thing - and as already mentioned; color space settings. I take my photos in Adobe RGB and work in PS in that space - or ProPhoto RGB. I am still trying to master this my self, but here is what I have done so far, and what solved my problems;

• ° In color settings in PS - I have RGB set to Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB.
  • ° I have my proof settings set to the same.
  • ° After i finish working with my picture, I flatten the image and convert it to sRGB if it goes on the web.

The colors will of course change sometimes, due to the fact of the narrower color space in sRGB...but the quality of the images will not be as much affected as before (even though I cannot remember how I used to keep my settings).

Can try see what happens if I take a picture and run your effect - and save it... but I guess I would not be able to copy your result as I don't have the picture you have problems with.

Did you try running your effect on other pictures to see if the problems is still there? (sorry if you already mentioned something about this, but way too sleepy to read everything right now)

Good luck ;)

Oh? Would you please elaborate on that? Are you referring to Lightroom's Develop module?

Yeah, sure Keith. I find that in my experiences, Lightroom excels at handling multiple images whereas Adobe PS does not. Is that satisfactory for you?
No.

Most reactions

Back