Is anyone interested in a real critique thread?

I guess I'll post one. I hope I'm not encroaching on manaheim's turf, lol.

08031124 by J E, on Flickr

Full size (2995x4531) here, in case anybody is interested:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/6008382065_a5d475a81d_o.jpg

What I was going for: You know those shots of the penny jar that are supposed to show how you should save money and maybe imply that everybody is kinda broke these days - having to resort to counting pennies - I was going for the opposite of that. I wanted to show an empty penny jar. A jar that had already been pillaged. What's left over after you count all of your pennies. (edit- "desperation", I guess - you've counted your pennies, and this is what's left.)

What I like: Well, the jar is pretty much empty, so to me - it conveys the point I had hoped to make. (To me anyway - not sure if other people read it the same way I do...)

What I don't like: DOF - I think it needs more, but I don't know that it's possible with the gear I have (shot with Canon 100mm macro, at f/11 or 16 - not 100% sure now...) - short of focus stacking, that is. I also feel that the edges of the jar are not defined enough (and I do not know how to fix that (in camera)). I think it might work better in portrait orientation, but I thought that would show too much 'nothing' (empty bottle).

ps - ignore the dark edges - I'm not really sure why/how that happened, but it's only a few pixels wide - easily cropped out (or 'fixed').

I'm kind of undecided between 'dirtying it up' more, or going for something more 'pristine'.

EDIT
BTW - in case anybody is interested - this was shot on B&W film (Efke 50, developed in Rodinal). So don't ask to see the 'color' version - because there is no such thing. ;)

Also - I know that my profile says "not OK to edit" - that really means 'ask first'. In this case, you have permission to edit.

Last edited:
If we're ready to move on to the next one, I'd love some thoughts on this:

Bolton Fair 2011 - 081.jpg

I find myself attracted to things like this, but I fear they don't make the best pictures... even though I generally enjoy the ones I take.

I think it unfair to move on as this picture hasn't gotten much feedback yet.

I'll look at this image with the glasses that is your watermark: impression engineering.
My first thought was "hmm, what did he want to accomplish", but then I saw the watermark. I like the idea, and I think the idea has come to life pretty good. There are a few things I'd like to be different, for example the two lines coming from lower left and upper right. Those are converging as of now. You probably shouldn't have to move a lot to make those converge, but I suppose you'd have to pay attention to that device in upper right. Apropos that device (not sure what to call it) seems a bit dark for my liking. There are so many lines to follow here, I'm sort of trying to find different paths to where I'd like the lines to converge. :) There's actually three lines going that way, and I'v very much like them to converge, if you see. Hmm, there seems to be four lines going down and left. What's your light source? The light seems like it's coming from a powerful work lamp or something coming from lower right?

Re Manaheim's shot - I like the colors and patterns -it's a bit contrasty as pointed out, but that's the nature of the lighting. The only thing I would do is to darken the underside of a couple of beams in the lower right where they are nearly blown out.

Re the pennies, this is a good shot which conveys your intent. My only comment is that it's a bit tilted and I'm not sure about the blue tint. I might experiment with that. I know the negative may have had that tint, but you can make it an RGB and adjust if you like.

I like the idea. Though, I wish we could get an entire critique forum instead. With rules, and whatnot in order to keep the level of critique relatively high.

Galleries Description said:
Photos submitted by members for general display or critique.

Unfortunately no one uses them. I think if TPF had a critique gallery solely for that like POTN, then that would be an excellent idea.

Here's an image of mine that hasn't been posted very many places. This was shot with one light using a beauty dish camera left. The background blur was done in PS and you can see where I ****ed it up with the blur on the girl's forehead, but other than that, what's everyone think?

I think it is a great shot. I don't like the loss of detail in the girls hair. It looks like an interesting hairstyle that would add a lot to the image but unfortunately I am left wondering where the hair ends and the seat begins. If you could bring out the detail in the hair and correct the forehead I think it would be a much stronger image.

I think it is a great shot. I don't like the loss of detail in the girls hair. It looks like an interesting hairstyle that would add a lot to the image but unfortunately I am left wondering where the hair ends and the seat begins. If you could bring out the detail in the hair and correct the forehead I think it would be a much stronger image.

I agree. And i also feel this thread is getting slightly outta control. Nobody should post another image until Village Idiot says that they have gotten enough critique. Once they give the go ahead, then the next image should be posted.

If we're ready to move on to the next one, I'd love some thoughts on this:

Bolton Fair 2011 - 081.jpg

I find myself attracted to things like this, but I fear they don't make the best pictures... even though I generally enjoy the ones I take.

I think it unfair to move on as this picture hasn't gotten much feedback yet.

I'll look at this image with the glasses that is your watermark: impression engineering.
My first thought was "hmm, what did he want to accomplish", but then I saw the watermark. I like the idea, and I think the idea has come to life pretty good. There are a few things I'd like to be different, for example the two lines coming from lower left and upper right. Those are converging as of now. You probably shouldn't have to move a lot to make those converge, but I suppose you'd have to pay attention to that device in upper right. Apropos that device (not sure what to call it) seems a bit dark for my liking. There are so many lines to follow here, I'm sort of trying to find different paths to where I'd like the lines to converge. :) There's actually three lines going that way, and I'v very much like them to converge, if you see. Hmm, there seems to be four lines going down and left. What's your light source? The light seems like it's coming from a powerful work lamp or something coming from lower right?

This is a Carousel, correct?

I'm not sure about the blue tint.
I think you need to calibrate your monitor...

It was B&W from start to finish - shot on B&W film, scanned in B&W, edited in B&W, and even now it's in a greyscale colorspace...

village, nice shot but as above i would love to see her mohican it's blending into the background just a bit too much, also bottom right corner it looks like he has a very long hairy left arm and i would burn his white shirt a bit

Unfortunately no one uses them. I think if TPF had a critique gallery solely for that like POTN, then that would be an excellent idea.

Here's an image of mine that hasn't been posted very many places. This was shot with one light using a beauty dish camera left. The background blur was done in PS and you can see where I ****ed it up with the blur on the girl's forehead, but other than that, what's everyone think?

I'm not really sure where to start in this thread, so I guess I'll just go with the last one posted...

I really like the feel of this shot, but like others have said, I wish there was a little more detail in her hair. And I can't help but wonder if you knew that you screwed up the blur on her forehead... why didn't you go back and fix it before posting? :lol: :sexywink:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cokronk/5219707597/in/photostream

I'm not really sure where to start in this thread, so I guess I'll just go with the last one posted...

I really like the feel of this shot, but like others have said, I wish there was a little more detail in her hair. And I can't help but wonder if you knew that you screwed up the blur on her forehead... why didn't you go back and fix it before posting? :lol: :sexywink:

I didn't notice it until it was several days after being uploaded to Flickr.

Most reactions

Back