Is brand -matching a teleconverter important?

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been debating getting a cheap 500mm f/8 T-mount telephoto lens and I think I have come across a good deal on one but it does not have the teleconverter that many of them come with so I'll need to buy one seperately. I read somewhere that if you don't get a teleconverter of the same brand they may not line up perfectly and image quality would be very poor. Is this true or will any teleconverter do?

This is mostly for lunar photography so speed and narrow max apurture are not a big issue.

Image quality with cheap teleconverters may be poor, but consider that you are shooting an object in the center of the frame, which is the best part, and you may convert it to b/w, thus avoiding chromatic aberration (which is evident even without tc). Consider also that those old-style lenses are optically always the same, independently from brand.
Teleconverter 2x causes a loss of 2 stops, so you will be just on the border of shutter speed for moon shooting (moon is moving, and with 1000mm of focal length you will see it moving very very clearly). Try it without tc, initially.

Cool, I was hoping that since t-mounts are all pretty much the same it wouldn't matter, thanks.

Brand matching doesn't matter, but brand does. Good TCs aren't that expensive and a crap TC on a good lens will be like have a crap lens.

These lenses are $110 brand new without converters and $120 with one so I doubt a less than high dollar converter would limit them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back