Is constant Aperture glass worth it? (F/4)

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a Nikon 24-120mm F/4 for a walk around lens on an up coming trip.

The reviews I've read has been positive towards constant aperture glass, apparently they give you complete control over the aperture through out the zoom range? It's also a good half pound lighter than my current walk around lens the Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 and it has VR. So I wanted to see what others thought about the F/4 glass or constant aperture?

Thanks,

PS: I'm using a D800 as well.

the 28-70/2.8 is constant aperture too.

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a Nikon 24-120mm F/4 for a walk around lens on an up coming trip.

The reviews I've read has been positive towards constant aperture glass, apparently they give you complete control over the aperture through out the zoom range? It's also a good half pound lighter than my current walk around lens the Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 and it has VR. So I wanted to see what others thought about the F/4 glass or constant aperture?

Thanks,

I've read/heard good things about it. Why not an older 28-70 2.8, or one of sigma/tamron's iterations?

^^^ yeah, what he said :scratch:

I've been wanting to buy a 28-70/2.8 but lack the total $$$

Thanks,

I've read/heard good things about it. Why not an older 28-70 2.8, or one of sigma/tamron's iterations?
The NIkon 28-70/2.8 apparently *is* his current walkaround lens ...

Sorry about that,

My thoughts are will a constant F/4 suffice vs a constant F/2.8 for a walking around lens. I just don't use the 2.8 much and it's a 1/2 lbs heavier than that 24-120 F/4. The extra range is nice as well.

Thanks,

Yes and I love my 28-70mm 2.8 but I'm really digging the 24-120mm F/4.

Thanks,

Whoops. Can't see sigs on my phone. And to tail gunner, I'm sure the reach of the 120 would be nice. I'd have trouble having a walk around lens that ISN'T 2.8, honestly.

The main questions are .... do you use the f/2.8 much and do you ever need the additional light gathering ability ?

For that kinda money get a 50mm 1.4 ART and really walk around. 3 stops faster for the win

The main questions are .... do you use the f/2.8 much and do you ever need the additional light gathering ability ?

I probably use F/2.8 10% of the time for astro stuff.

Sorry about that,

My thoughts are will a constant F/4 suffice vs a constant F/2.8 for a walking around lens. I just don't use the 2.8 much and it's a 1/2 lbs heavier than that 24-120 F/4. The extra range is nice as well.

You may have just answered your own question

I probably use F/2.8 10% of the time for astro stuff.
Walk around with your lens at f/4 and see how you like it.

Well, Constant doesn't mean you can't change the aperture. On the contrary, you can adjust it all the way out to full focus length. Anyhow, I generally walk around with my 28-70mm set to F/8-11 and it's a constant 2.8.

I think I'm going to rent one and check it out.

I used a canon 25-105 f4 for about a week when my 24-70 was in for repairs a few months ago. I really enjoyed the lighter lens and extra reach. I didn't miss the 2.8. However, I can't justify getting rid of the 24-70 for those times I do need 2.8.

Most reactions

Back