Is Freebird On The Setlist ?

CaboWabo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have really not gotten into photographing people so I am trying something new , any help to correct this photo would help me out to know what I am doing right or wrong .Thank you very much
20831200305_6f3811c1d7_c.jpg

this is a real toughie.
Lots of dappled light, strange color tints and burnt out sections on her lap.

I did one but it looks unnatural

Ok thank you , how do I fix the burnt out parts on her lap , faster shutter or something else ?

There's no real fix because the hot spots are burnt out (no detail) and her face is in the shadow.
Unless you can shoot a quick bracketed burst (and she holds still), it's a bad ending.
The solution is to compose so the brightest of the hot spots are not in the frame.
Then expose for her face.
In this situation, her face is in the shadow and there is an odd magenta tint.
I imagine that, either you have increased the saturation and contrast or it was shot in a vivd setting in a jpeg as the color seems over the edge.

Good luck,

L

I played with it and it needed a lot of TLC but this is what I came up with. I reduced the highlights and recovery tools,Adjusted Color Temp.Burned Darken,Dodge to lighten and adjusted the saturation.I just couldn't get the photo the same size for some reason.

Last edited:
I have really not gotten into photographing people so I am trying something new , any help to correct this photo would help me out to know what I am doing right or wrong .Thank you very much

In addition to the lighting issues, when you shoot a musician, you want to frame properly to display their instrument. If you had been more to her left, you wouldn't have lost a lot of her intrument; you'd be able to see much better exactly what it is. She also doesn't actually look engaged with the instrument; she seems to be almost just waiting around. Were there any shots where she was more animated or looking at her instrument?

In raw it can be made much better, really quickly. (altho darkshadows edit looks great)
The highlights aren't burnt at all.
There is a really odd tinting to her face, especially her nose, and I only can guess that she is getting some color reflected from her brilliant hair.

and vfotog is right on button with thes comments.

In addition to the lighting issues, when you shoot a musician, you want to frame properly to display their instrument. If you had been more to her left, you wouldn't have lost a lot of her intrument; you'd be able to see much better exactly what it is. She also doesn't actually look engaged with the instrument; she seems to be almost just waiting around. Were there any shots where she was more animated or looking at her instrument?

Thanks Travler and vfotog , she seemed very weird almost robotic like and yes disengaged , there were so many people it was hard to get a shot without people stepping in front , this was the first time I really went to shoot people or street/fair stuff , so I will take your comments and try again

Since you aren't really attempting candid photography (she is obviously there expecting to be photographed) why not actually go up to her and ask her a question or make a remark to get her focussed on you?

Here are two where I really spoke to the people and engaged them and still got a decent image with some impact (I think).

face examples.jpg
face examples-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back