Is Good Photographer require Adobe Photoshop Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As a Photographers what should you say about the knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is mendatory. We see that huge development on Photoshop side and lots of cool features has been added by the Adobe for professional and ameture photographers. Can we say for perfect photographer we need 50 /50 knowledge of photography and Photoshop?

I use mostly cloning, dodging, burning, and liquify in Photoshop. I'm not even sure if that's considered 50% of my photography LOL

No. Editing and post production is good to have, but not necessarily any specific software.
I use about 6 different programs for different things. They all have strengths and weaknesses.
I use pixia, phirerra, gimp, paint.net, Photoshop, paintshop, and a few others at various times for various purposes plus I write scripts, plugins and extensions of my own.
Even with that, I have lots of photos I don't touch because I like the look of them straight out of the camera.
Good light knowledge and composition ability can get results as good as you can get with editing.

Post production is very important and the old adage of get it right in camera has less meaning because of the availability to change just about anything in a digital image.
The better you are at post production gives you more options when you edit a picture. The choice to use / not use those options is down to the individual.

As has already been said dont limit yourself to Adobe products there are plenty of other very good (free) editing applications.

I use mostly cloning, dodging, burning, and liquify in Photoshop. I'm not even sure if that's considered 50% of my photography LOL
Hmm well these features allows photographers to make images more compelling

No. Editing and post production is good to have, but not necessarily any specific software.
I use about 6 different programs for different things. They all have strengths and weaknesses.
I use pixia, phirerra, gimp, paint.net, Photoshop, paintshop, and a few others at various times for various purposes plus I write scripts, plugins and extensions of my own.
Even with that, I have lots of photos I don't touch because I like the look of them straight out of the camera.
Good light knowledge and composition ability can get results as good as you can get with editing.
so that there are other photo editing software on the market

Post production is very important and the old adage of get it right in camera has less meaning because of the availability to change just about anything in a digital image.
The better you are at post production gives you more options when you edit a picture. The choice to use / not use those options is down to the individual.

As has already been said dont limit yourself to Adobe products there are plenty of other very good (free) editing applications 7.
so what you suggest me other than Adobe Photoshop for editing pictures. I heard about Adobe Photoshop which is great for picture editing

As has already been said dont limit yourself to Adobe products there are plenty of other very good (free) editing applications 7.
so what you suggest me other than Adobe Photoshop for editing pictures. I heard about Adobe Photoshop which is great for picture editing

Google Nik Collection

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Sqirlz Morph - multi-morphing freeware Sqirlz Water Reflections freeware

Best Free Graphics Editors - List of Freeware Image Editors - list

Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

I could go on........

Try them and see if you can get what you want before spending money on Photoshop or Lightroom.

For the record I dont use Photoshop or lightroom.

Adobe PhotoShop was kind of the default for very serious photographers willing to do a lot of post-production work. But there are alternatives. And I want to mention a comparatively new option designed for Mac out of the UK called Affinity Photo. I've just started learning with it and am VERY impressed. And unlike the PS payment were after a year or two of leasing/monthly payments you're in the hole for quite a junk of change, I was able to buy Affinity Photo for $39 USD. Extremely powerful and affordable and pretty intuitive.

GIMP is clunky and not so easy to learn but if you're looking for a PS alternative that is free, than look at GIMP. There are lots of other options but for the most part, they're not nearly as powerful as PS (or Affinity Photo).

I rarely use photoshop, and when I say rarely, I mean like 1% of the time.

Lightroom for the win!

Photoshop is not necessary for good photography. It is a tool, albeit the most complete tool for post production.

Google Nik Collection

IrfanView
- Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

GIMP- GNU Image Manipulation Program

Sqirlz Morph - multi-morphing freeware Sqirlz Water Reflections freeware

Best Free Graphics Editors - List of Freeware Image Editors - list

Paint.NET- Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

I could go on........

Try them and see if you can get what you want before spending money on Photoshop 7 or Lightroom.

For the record I dont use Photoshop or lightroom.

Thanks let me check this out

Last edited:
Photoshop is not necessary for good photography. It is a tool, albeit the most complete tool for post production.
Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back