Is it a smart thought to not purchase a camera until I can bear the cost of the full-frame advantage

Full-Frame is totally overrated.
Don't use it as an excuse. If you're poor, go grab a cheap film camera and start right now.
If I was to do a project on Street Photography, I would use something like a Sony RX100IV

OK, I get it, this isn't a specific recommendation but the RX100IV is still a $1,000 camera. Not exactly what a less well healed - or, as you put it, "poor" -buyer might look at.

Film? The op would eat up his available funds within the first month just developing the film.

Gotta pay to play.
If you're broke, use the RX100 mk1.
I handled a Leica Q the other day. Interesting camera but not really worth the money. If someone gave it to me sure I'd use it.
Other options are a used Lumix GF1 or Olympus EPL series.

RX100 mk1?!

Still a $500 camera.

A Lieca???!!! :BangHead:

The idea, I believe, is to get the op shooting ASAP.

What do you have that is within the op's available funds? Preferably less.

I'd go with a pre-owned Canon S110 or even a S100.

The S110 is easily available through Canon direct (if this is possible in the op's location) for $129 with a one year warranty; Canon PowerShot S110 Black Refurbished | Canon Online Store

The internet offers the S100 for even less but may not be the best option since any such offer would lack a warranty.

there is a guy i follow on flickr, he takes the most amazing, clear, clean pristine images, he shoots with with a nikon D5200 and recently i have seen him post a few taken by a nikon D800, i really cant tell the difference in image quality between the 2 cameras he uses.. if you really know what you are doing you do not need a full frame camera to get top notch images.

there is a guy i follow on flickr, he takes the most amazing, clear, clean pristine images, he shoots with with a nikon D5200 and recently i have seen him post a few taken by a nikon D800, i really cant tell the difference in image quality between the 2 cameras he uses.. if you really know what you are doing you do not need a full frame camera to get top notch images.

I post this link every now and again, this seems like a good time to repeat the entry; Emphoka: The Best Photos of the Day: February 28, 2014

Notice the cameras being used on this site. I don't know where they are at right now but in the past they only accepted photos taken with LESS than a DSLR.

soufiej said:
I post this link every now and again, this seems like a good time to repeat the entry; Emphoka: The Best Photos of the Day: February 28, 2014

Notice the cameras being used on this site. I don't know where they are at right now but in the past they only accepted photos taken with LESS than a DSLR.

The selective color street scene shot with the Leica was a regular laugh riot.

Too bad the "photographer" didn't have an iPhone 6S....he could have gotten a few seconds of VIDEO to go with that shot, to remind himself that the whole scene was actually in living color, so after he had processed the sh*+ out of it with selective color, he'd have had a reference for the actual scene...

Quite a few of the shots on that site are processed. It's a style, I suppose. The people running the page seem to enjoy the style more than I do. To each their own.

The point being, you don't need a $4k camera to do processing.

Most reactions

Back