Is it just me...

Dantheman4334

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or are camera bodies being put out way to fast now a days?

I havent even owned my xsi for more than 5 months, and already they're coming out with the Ti, or whatever its called. Do I even really need it? Its not like I'll be taking hd video any time soon, but the higher mp, digic IV, and faster fps is a slap in the face in my opinion. Now every sally sue who buys it and puts it on auto will claim to be a better photographer than me, and judging by the comments I have gotten of my work, they just might be right. Its a big slap in the face to me when camera's become so good that when I'm working my butt off trying to take good photographs, anyone can put it on auto and call it done. Its even worse though, in my opinion, that we're being forced to upgrade all the time to the best body. Maybe I'm just jelous, thats always been a weakness of mine, but you would have to agree with me that it just aint right. It gives those with less artistic ability the unfair advatage in this world. Camera's these days are just too perfect, and at the rate they're putting them out, soon eveyones gonna be able to take a photo well.

What do you think?

Think about it this way,

When you do decide to upgrade a few years down the road, you will be able to get a MUCH better camera dollar for dollar, as opposed to one thats just slightly better.

canon are trying to retake the market after nikon released cameras that were ahead of what canon were releasing (basically canon were used to setting the level and then nikon jumped over it) so hence why canon is rush releasing camera bodies to stay in competition.

I would not worry about it at all - even the old XT body is a good camera and if you put your money into some good pro end glass then you will get some fantastic results.
Certainly the technology is a heck of a long way from point - shoot - get Pulzer prize winning shot and any skills you pick up will help you greatly with your photography.
Be content with the camera you have and look to improving your glass and other components (Flashes etc) and then think about a new body.

As for the fact that people using auto mode are getting better results than yourself that is just showing you that you still have a lot ot learn (heck I do as well as do many of us) and you won't learn that with a new camera, but with time, effort, and practice (as well as some help along the way).

canon are trying to retake the market after nikon released cameras that were ahead of what canon were releasing (basically canon were used to setting the level and then nikon jumped over it) so hence why canon is rush releasing camera bodies to stay in competition.

I would not worry about it at all - even the old XT body is a good camera and if you put your money into some good pro end glass then you will get some fantastic results.
Certainly the technology is a heck of a long way from point - shoot - get Pulzer prize winning shot and any skills you pick up will help you greatly with your photography.
Be content with the camera you have and look to improving your glass and other components (Flashes etc) and then think about a new body.

As for the fact that people using auto mode are getting better results than yourself that is just showing you that you still have a lot ot learn (heck I do as well as do many of us) and you won't learn that with a new camera, but with time, effort, and practice (as well as some help along the way).

If you could take a look at some of my work and tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would love to get the advice.

remember, you wont buy the camera, but other people that think HD video is cool AND its a dSLR so "automatically it takes great photos"(it's in quotes I don't mean it) people will buy the camera. And you should be happy. It's boosting our Economy, putting more money into Canon, with which they develop a new higher end camera. SO it works out great for everyone.

I only took a quick look and most of your areas of interest differ to my own - however a constant theme was darker time shooting - when you have less light to work with and also a general lack of shutter speed in many situations.
I would suggest considering some faster glass (lenses) like a 50mm f1.8 lens (its very cheap and yet its optical quality is good) to help you in these situations and possible consider using a flash as well (if you will use hte popup then put some folded white toilet paper over it (elastic band helps) to diffuse the light and lose that harsh quality. Aside from that you can inreases you ISO more and also use exposure compensation to try for more shutter speed at a cost of noise (ISO raising) and exposure.

Aside from that not much more to say - your starting out so do keep shooting and always experiment when you can. Also when making apost put the following info in it for each shot:

Camera and lens used as well as other kit like tripods and flashes
A rough idea of the shooting conditions (cloudy, dark, windy, wet, from a moving car etc...)
Shooting settings - aperture, ISO and shutter speed. (you can find this info in the properties of the photo - right click on the file - go to properties then in the window the details tab- scroll down to find the info.
What you were aiming for - can be a tricky part but well worth trying to master
What you think went wrong - self assess your own shot!
What you think went right - again self assessment can teach you a lot!

I only took a quick look and most of your areas of interest differ to my own - however a constant theme was darker time shooting - when you have less light to work with and also a general lack of shutter speed in many situations.
I would suggest considering some faster glass (lenses) like a 50mm f1.8 lens (its very cheap and yet its optical quality is good) to help you in these situations and possible consider using a flash as well (if you will use hte popup then put some folded white toilet paper over it (elastic band helps) to diffuse the light and lose that harsh quality. Aside from that you can inreases you ISO more and also use exposure compensation to try for more shutter speed at a cost of noise (ISO raising) and exposure.

Aside from that not much more to say - your starting out so do keep shooting and always experiment when you can. Also when making apost put the following info in it for each shot:

Camera and lens used as well as other kit like tripods and flashes
A rough idea of the shooting conditions (cloudy, dark, windy, wet, from a moving car etc...)
Shooting settings - aperture, ISO and shutter speed. (you can find this info in the properties of the photo - right click on the file - go to properties then in the window the details tab- scroll down to find the info.
What you were aiming for - can be a tricky part but well worth trying to master
What you think went wrong - self assess your own shot!
What you think went right - again self assessment can teach you a lot!
Sadly I cannot increase my iso more. Thats why the whole thing with the ti makes me so mad. Why didn't canon build in the ability for the xsi to have higher iso? I'm stuck at 1600, which isn't nearly enough.

I never go above ISO 800 on my 400D and I consider ISO 400 to be my general ISO max - after that noise is to great = even If my camera could go higher the ISO noise would kill details in the shots. ITs a lower level camera so (sadly) its going to be limited to keep the higher level cameras in the competition.
But do consider faster glass and flash - it wil really help

you you want to have higher ISO on the XSI just shoot underexposed 1 stop on 1600 ISO and in PP increase exposure by one stop. You will get noise also but that's the same if you had 3200 ISO on the camera.

Most reactions

Back