Is it ok to keep a UV filter on, all the time?

chrisv2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Somehow I had parked in my memory the idea that it was a good to keep a UV filter on my camera, at all times. To keep the underlying lens from getting dirty.

Is that "ok" or am I going to be screwing up my photos now? If it's not ok -- is there some sort of "neutral" filter that you can keep on a lens all the time, to keep it from collecting dirt/dust?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid question...I am a total newbie at this.

It's not doing any favors for your image quality, I can assure you of that (unless it's a high end UV filter).

Personally, I've never used a UV filter and never will.

That is actually a very common thing to do.

A UV filter is practically useless on a digital camera, because they aren't designed to be sensitive to UV light. But the filters are pretty much clear to visible light, which is why people use them as protection filters.
I believe they do make clear protection (window) filters, but UV filters are just more common.

Protecting you lens does make sense, it's much better to replace a filter, than to repair or replace a whole lens. On the other hand, modern lenses are pretty resilient and can take a lot of cleaning without being scratched up.

On the down side, the more glass you put in front of your lens, the more chance you have of degrading the image quality, causing lens flare etc.

Personally, I don't use UV filters for protection. I try to keep a hard lens hood on my lenses when shooting, which offers some protection.

I'm thinking of trying a B+W filter...I'm really paranoid about my lens getting dirt, water, dust or whatever (or scratched).

I've never used one and all my lenses are fine. I'm even guilty of cleaning my lens elements with a finger in my sleeve. They're tougher than you think! If you're really worried, stick a lens hood on.

Wicked lens flare convinced me to take mine off. Lenses are designed to take some abuse, I co-sign on the lens hood suggestion if you're concerned about damage to the lens, but IMO extra glass in front of your glass is only a good idea if you truly truly NEED it (polarizer/ND filter) and after that it should come off. I ended up really pissed at myself with images that I couldn't recreate later on that were ruined by the flare from the UV filter on my 50mm. Never again!

Been using them on all my lenses for many years and will continue to do so. They are just like insurance to me and I'll continue to pay the premium.

It's important to remember that a UV filter will only ever protect against light dust/grains and liquids. It offers no protection at all against larger projectiles and, because UV filters are made with very thin glass, they are highly likely to shatter upon impact. This causes a lot of problems because glass is very abrasive and all that shattered UV filter is going to go right back and scrape all over your front element so it still takes damage.

So against sand, dusts, saltspray, oily/dirty fingers a filter is a great protection and in extreme environments I'd use one so I could fast wipe the lens clean and keep shooting without a worry.

In addition always go for a high quality filter, it won't be cheap, but it will minimise the degradation to the optical quality and also reduce flaring as much as possible. Cheap UV filters are nothing but trouble.

I started using a kenko Zeta Uv filter, there are hardly any reflections at all, expensive but worth it. It looks like a metal ring with no glass at all, because there are minimal reflections.

Never been one on my glass and never will, and i tote some glass that would hurt my feelings if damaged.

Here's the photo that convinced me to take the UV filter off my lens permanently.

You should know and remove the filter in situations like that. Filters are like anything else... use them when you actually intend to. Nothing is a leave and forget.

I use filters for protection. I only use the highest quality. My lenses are extremely expensive and difficult to replace. They are also stored in my bag without front and rear caps. I also don't carry a lens cloth.. waist of time.

I dropped two lenses in my lifetime. Once was when I was fumbling around with the darn lens caps. Second time, the filter did actually protect the front element (filter ring bent, shattered and aperture ring had to repaired). I also shoot with a few vintage lenses... known to have soft front elements.

On the other hand, I have other lenses that wouldn't be expensive nor difficult to replace AND it gets expensive filters of different sizes... those don't have filters.

Last edited:
>>>>[h=2]Is it ok to keep a UV filter on, all the time?[/h]<<<<

If you are planning to NOT use your lens cap, sure.........

Most reactions

Back