is it ok to take a camera onto plane?

anthwinter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
with all the restrictions does anyone know if its ok to carry a camera on the plane with u as hand luggage? thanks in advance

I never have a problem. My LowePro Trekker is my normal carry-on bag complete with full SLR kit, book, iPod, two mobiles, keys and anything else I think of. I probably make around 15-20 international flights a year between the UK, Europe and the Middle East. Even with the airport restrictions at their worst, I never had an issue getting it through as hand-luggage.

Should not be a problem. They will often 'swab' my camera...i guess they check for particles from explosives or something...but that's the only issue.

I have been to China and to Greece within the last 10 months and they did not care at all. My laptop on the other hand, they make you take that out and they swabbed it all the time.

It is one of two things I carry on, without exception.
My laptop bag is the other. I have a full Trekker full
of everything. It's exploding at the seams. Never
was an issue.

Much safer place than checked-in luggage where they tend to "disappear" from - not come across an airline which doesn't allow them onboard, just don't try to use it during take-off & landing :thumbup:

simon

I travel with a full (and locked) 1510 pelican case. I make sure to unlock it as I approach the security checkpoint. I am always prepared to cooperate with anything they ask as I understand that the pelican case itself makes me "stick out".

If you travel with film, remove the rolls from all packaging, including the plastic containers, and place them in a clear ziplock. I usually ask them to hand check those bags.

NO way am I going to check my stuff in.

Hand luggage at all times with me. A camera bag normally falls outside of the hand luggage restrictions of 1 bag too.

thanks people for all the replies, appretiate it!

I usually take pictures out the window of the plane if there's anything interesting going on below. So I think it's safe to say, there's no issue.

Hand luggage at all times with me. A camera bag normally falls outside of the hand luggage restrictions of 1 bag too.

Well, not if it is London Stansted ... :roll: - but ok.
One thing is for sure: it all else might get checked in, my camera bag won't. That goes on board with me.

I have always taken my camera as carry-on (I trust noone with my gear) and since 9/11 it just seems that when I carry more than just the standard they find in necesarry to give me th efull once over. I guess when they see all the wires and electronics they get concerned. So all I can say is be prepared to be delayed at the security check and don't show up late.

Never had an issue with taking a camera on board. Had a friend lose a couple thousand dollars worth of lenses by checking it and I learned my lesson from that.

I fly alot.....and every single time i head to the airport they stick me in a drug sniffing machine because of my long hair and give my camera bad the 5 times over.....only happens in the US though.

I always carry my camera on flights and I have never had a problem :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back