Is it possible to shoot this pic with my equipments?

hahastar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to produce pics like this. I already have canon 350D with 50mm f/1.8 II lens, alien bees Digi Kit, sekonic flash meter, and a shooting table. Is it possible to do that with these equipments? thanks
873,1155685333,2.jpg

I would certainly think so.

It appears to be on a seamless white background (white paper). The light is very soft so you will have to use a diffuser (umbrella or soft-box). The main light is coming from the side and there is fill light which may be just reflected or coming from another source. This may have been shot in a light tent...but you should be able to get pretty close with just an umbrella.

thanks Mike. Do you think I need an extension tube for this kind of pic? Also i notice that the pic looks very sharp and clean.

Well, the 50mm F1.8 should certainly be capable of giving you shots this sharp. Use an aperture that is closed down at least a stop down from F1.8...with a tripod and studio lights, I would shoot at F8 or maybe more if you need more DOF. A tripod should be used, of course.

You should be able to get fairly close with that lens...but even if you can't get it that close...the 350D has plenty of pixels so cropping shouldn't be a problems.

Extension tubes are more for macro type shots...and I wouldn't call this macro.

Depending on the size of the object/subject you're exposing, and the distance between subject and camera, you will probably get some perspective distortion with that 50mm lens. The longer the focal length lens you use the less the perspective distortion.

W.Smith said:
Depending on the size of the object/subject you're exposing, and the distance between subject and camera, you will probably get some perspective distortion with that 50mm lens. The longer the focal length lens you use the less the perspective distortion.

I think it will be fine. The 50mm lens on a digital equates to a 75mm lens on a 35mm. It should allow him to get him back far enough.

I think you need a 1Ds MkII and some good L glass to solve the problem. Consumer lenses can't make good pictures.

Just kidding. You need to diffuse the F outta the light and maybe light the background separately.

In addition to the flash diffuser, you would be able to create this ample white light background using a soft box. You can build one using white styrofoam panels. Doesn't have to be pretty big, just 30x30x30 cm.

With the softbox, you can even use the flash to bounce light to the top and let the box diffuse the light around the subject.

The particular shot you posted appears to have the flash to the right of the camera generating a diffused shadow on the left. A flash diffuser was most likely used, which is a good thing in any case.

Even with the camera built-in flash, you can make a diffuser by means of a plastic semi transparent plastic or paper. Or you can buy a diffuser pretty cheap.

Most reactions

Back