Is it really that hard to develop c-41

It requires a Penta prism to view properly!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My RB-67 and my 4x5 don't have one. I still manage to use them though.

I processed color negative film in C-41 for several years for a very small mom-and-pop publishing company. This was back in the '80's. I built my own processing system using Patterson 8-reel tanks and constructed temperature water baths from large Rubbermaid tubs (available at Wal-Mart). I lined the tubs on the outside with household insulation. Once I got the water bath up to the desired temp, I found that it would keep the desired temp steady all the way through the developing process. This system worked for a couple of years. It was primitive, but it worked and I got good and predictible results. Later, I would use the same system to develop Ektachrome in E6 chemistry. It worked just as well for that, too.

Just for fun I tried a three solution Tetinal (brand name) kit. As others have mentioned, keeping the correct temperature of the solution and keeping temps stable while in with the film in the developing tanks was very important but not overly difficult. The kits were pricey, they are good for I think around 10 rolls, store guy said some get more. biggest problem was that once mixed, the solutions have a limited shelf life so to make the most of it one would have to shoot at least 10 - 12 rolls then have the time to develop them over no more than two days, one day being better. I don't shoot colour film as a rule and if I do in future will most likely search out a reputable lab.

Think Black and White and Shoot Black And White.

I used to do color film at home when I was a student, and poor. I used a Unicolor kit. I made a "water jacket" from an electric frying pan. I then meticulously adjusted the water from the tap, then prayed nobody flushed the toilet or took a shower. I got good results.

Danny

Honestly, processing C-41 process film is really not that difficult but it is more critical than B&W when it comes to temperature. I built a thermostatically controlled water bath to keep the chemistries ±1/2ºF but it is possible do the same manually. Get a deep tub and fill it with water at the temperature you will be using. Stick an accurate and calibrated darkroom thermometer into the water and add hot water as needed to maintain the temperature. You could also try using an aquarium heater but I have found that they are not particularly repeatable and you need a small submersible pump to keep the water evenly mixed. I did this for many years with great success. Modern day C-41 chemistries have a wider temp latitude (most are ±1/2ºF) than the ones I first started with, which were usually ±1/4ºF which was pretty difficult to maintain.

Last edited:
I am not even sure that it pencils out economically to develop fewer than 15 rolls at a time. I don't know what the c-41 chemistry cost in these days, but I doubt you can approach the reasonable developing costs provided by hundreds of labs across America.

So I'm brand new to all of this but yea definitely, if you're planning to develop 15+ rolls it's honestly a steal to develop on your own. Of course there's some upfront costs like the tanks and possibly a scanner, but the chemicals are fairly inexpensive. Simple color/black and white chems cost me around $23.00 and the one I get "says" it covers 18rolls of film. That's roughly $1.30 per roll. My town unfortunately doesn't have a local film developer, but even the Walmart charges anywhere from $6-9 per roll and they have this weird new policy of not returning your negatives. I don't know when this started, but it's because they don't do it in-house anymore, and you only get the digital files, which they send to the store and print out if you wanted prints. Film was definitely a lost art but I do see some places starting to revive it.

Most reactions

Back