Is it safe to photograph protesters?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There have been several hate groups and counter-protesters from time to time in my area. I feel like I have a thrill to take pictures over there. I have been in tpf for a while and don't really tell much about myself. I'm Asian. Will I get beat up by hate groups? Will I get arrested by the police or get peppered spray in my face? How safe to photograph the protesters?

Will you be assaulted - maybe, maybe not.
Will you get arrested - same answer.
These can depend on the general climate of the protest and your actions.

How safe is it - again, it can depend on the climate and the nature of the protest. I suspect that many are looking for exposure and publicity for their cause, but if things turn violent, all bets are off.

I'm Asian. Will I get beat up by hate groups?
I guess that depends on how the hate groups feel about Asians. Most of the hate groups I see rioting are hating on conservatives, not Asians. If you are a conservative Asian, then you will probably get beat up.
Will I get arrested by the police or get peppered spray in my face? How safe to photograph the protesters?
If I were going to do this, I would not make the police the subject of my photography experiment.

Maybe. But generally I say no ... unless you start to participate and interact. Keep to yourself, keep your opinions to yourself, look and act professional. Usually, assaults start low verbal then build up to loud and physical. At low and verbal, leave, walk away.

If thing do get out of hand, like a riot, get out of Dodge, no reason for you to stick around, you are not a journalist, it isn't your job to stick around. If you hang around after the police have announced an order to disperse, you deserve to be arrested.

Seems like sometimes a protest will be held lawfully but then some trouble makers show up, well, just to cause trouble and have nothing to do with the actual protest. You're pretty much out there on your own... Someone taking photos as a journalist would at least most likely have insurance or some measure of support from their media outlet.

I agree, I'd get the shots you want and get out of Dodge in case things get out of hand. I guess it depends on what it is; I don't know if it'd be worth the risk or not.

Two words you need to keep in mind at all times when out in public, doing photography, or not.
Situational awareness.

I know a photographer around where I live who wears a press vest when he shoots protests and no one ever bothers him. Usually some people want to be photographed at some of these protests. But you know, it's different depending on locations. I live in Vermont, we have protests but they are generally peaceful.

But like @KmH said, it's all about situational awareness. I mean, always, always be aware of things going on around you.

I'd also advise having maybe a friend with you, or perhaps another photographer. When you are out shooting these things, people generally leave photographers and other media alone because they know you are documenting but things happen and people can go crazy sometimes.

There's only one way to know for sure! Give it a try and let us know!

;)

That said, would you really risk missing a great image for the potential of a few lumps and bruises?

I would just look around and scope the area. If it seems like a 'relaxed' protest and nothing too outrageous then id go for it. Like the others said, situational awareness. If you have a long zoom lens you can stay relatively far away from the protest to be in a safe area. Although, that might not get you the shots you might be looking for.

That said, would you really risk missing a great image for the potential of a few lumps and bruises?
Don't forget the smashed camera. (Smashed into your head.) Also the haters have been known to use pepper spray and fire. A girl's hair was lit on fire in one "protest". I no longer need worry about my hair, but I would rather not be attacked in any way. And I can't afford to lose my photo gear.

yeahbut... at a protest, you don't want to be within camera-smashing distance, because if you're that close, you're interfering with what's going on, not documenting it.

You have the right to do so but it's unsafe.

Most reactions

Back