Is it safe to photograph protesters?

Just insure your camera...and go for it.

NO! I will tell you why. It's different now. And you see it every day if you watch TV (I stopped watching live TV a couple years ago). But you still see the videos on youtube and what not. People assaulting reporters, people jumping into the background doing stupid things. Reporters getting mugged while on camera. News crews getting their equipment stolen while they are right there! Even the criminals in the past shied away from acting up around media. Not so today.

A press pass, or press vest will do nothing if your in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I know a photographer around where I live who wears a press vest when he shoots protests and no one ever bothers him. Usually some people want to be photographed at some of these protests. But you know, it's different depending on locations. I live in Vermont, we have protests but they are generally peaceful.

But like @KmH said, it's all about situational awareness. I mean, always, always be aware of things going on around you.

I'd also advise having maybe a friend with you, or perhaps another photographer. When you are out shooting these things, people generally leave photographers and other media alone because they know you are documenting but things happen and people can go crazy sometimes.
Okay, I used to shoot this stufff for a living. Whenever a group of protestors see a camera, doesn't matter if it is Tv or Print media, the protestors go nuts acting up for the coverage. But, as benhasajeep stated, thing are much different now. People really go nuts acting up for the camera(s) to the point of violence ... because an act of violence will almost guarantee that you'll make the news. Once violence erupts, no press pass or press vest will shield you from being on the wrong end of that violence.

Just be careful, use common sense and odds are in your favor that you will be safe and walk away with some good photos.

Last edited:
I know a photographer around where I live who wears a press vest when he shoots protests and no one ever bothers him. Usually some people want to be photographed at some of these protests. But you know, it's different depending on locations. I live in Vermont, we have protests but they are generally peaceful.

But like @KmH said, it's all about situational awareness. I mean, always, always be aware of things going on around you.

I'd also advise having maybe a friend with you, or perhaps another photographer. When you are out shooting these things, people generally leave photographers and other media alone because they know you are documenting but things happen and people can go crazy sometimes.
Okay, I used to shoot this stufff for a living. Whenever a group of protestors see a camera, doesn't matter if it is Tv or Print media, the protestors go nuts acting up for the coverage. But, as benhasajeep stated, thing are much different now. People really go nuts acting up for the camera(s) to the point of violence ... because an act of violence will almost guarantee that you'll make the news. Once violence erupts, no press pass or press vest will shield you from being on the wrong end of that violence.

Just be careful, use common sense and odds are in your favor that you will be safe and walk away with some good photos.

True. But like I said, depends a lot on the location. Not every protest turns into violence.

I have no interest in doing documentary shooting, but someday I'd love to get a few shots from inside of a protest, a peaceful one.

Shoot violent protesters like unpredictable wild animals and use a telephoto, they won't react or overreact to what they can't see.

Most reactions

Back