is it still worth buying an slr camera?

Are you kidding?

I would say I am not kidding, though I am not 100% serious. I am presenting a very extreme opinion to illustrate the middle ground. I am not stating my version of the middle ground but instead helping people to think of their own version of it by stating an extreme. It is a communication technique.

I haven't seen anything in this thread that mentions the subject matter being shot.

I shoot horse events for money.
The rate that subject movement and opportunities change, require all of the DSLR features to be used. Film is an unaffordable luxury for this kind of photography.
Most of my customers come from the internet which would require converting to some form of digital file anyway.
In my case, it boils down to what is most practical and economical.
I do see an old film SLR in the hands of some Grandma/Grandpas once in a while. They take a few quick snaps of their cute little Grandkids, then wander off, talking about getting their film developed.

The occasional and dedicated photographer can still afford to use film and enjoy the unique results that film produces.

I processed nearly 3000 files from our cameras this weekend. Film wasn't an option.

Yes...it´s worth it.

There is nothing to discuss, unless you are not interested in learning anything...in which case, there is still nothing to discuss.

I haven't seen anything in this thread that mentions the subject matter being shot.

I shoot horse events for money.
The rate that subject movement and opportunities change, require all of the DSLR features to be used. Film is an unaffordable luxury for this kind of photography.
Most of my customers come from the internet which would require converting to some form of digital file anyway.
In my case, it boils down to what is most practical and economical.
I do see an old film SLR in the hands of some Grandma/Grandpas once in a while. They take a few quick snaps of their cute little Grandkids, then wander off, talking about getting their film developed.

The occasional and dedicated photographer can still afford to use film and enjoy the unique results that film produces.

I processed nearly 3000 files from our cameras this weekend. Film wasn't an option.

I shoot digital for the same reason, different subject. Live bands easily consume 600-1000 frames in a 4-5 hour gig. I am going back to MF film when the studio is operational, but will be scanning the negs. But all that said, I still own every 35mm I have ever owned. With the new scanner, I have the desire/need to shoot them again. I am thinking of loading up an old FM or even a N2000 with a 45mm 2.8 GN and using that as my go anywhere/anytime rig instead of an older 4 MP P&S.

Most reactions

Back