Is it time to give up on PC's and buy a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read all the way through everything posted, but here's my two cents, anyway:

It really doesn't matter what type of computer you have, you can generally do all the same work on a PC as you can on a Mac, and generally the same work on a Mac as you can on a PC.

This is the issue - when your PC breaks, you can fix it. When your Mac breaks the world ends. If I have something go wrong on my computer, I just research the issue and it's taken care of, generally without leaving the comfort of my home. My best friend only uses Mac and half of the time she could be working, she's at the Apple store in tears. And it seems to be like that for all comparable products.

I have a regular old touch screen phone. If it freezes up, I take the battery out. My boyfriend has an iPhone. If it freezes he attempts to restart it but can't. It's now in pieces because "hitting it against" his leg was the only way to make it work. So, I suppose my argument is that so many people make it out to be that Apple products are so much more sophisticated but when something goes wrong you need to be reduced to tears and bashing it in? I know that's not a fair argument, but the argument itself is generally useless. Buy what you want.

As for everyone that complains about PCs coming with a whole bunch of useless junk, try buying one not out of a box! If you can't build a computer yourself, find a bored nerd, give them $700 (still cheaper than a Mac) and they will have some fun, and you will have a bad ass machine. I had mine built for about $500 (sans keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers), and my computer trumps most Macs I've worked on.

And no you don't have to buy a bunch of crap to keep it running smooth. I have one program keeping it clean, which is free off the MS website. I haven't had a single issue since I had the computer built at Christmas.

Having a Mac won't make your work better, and having a PC isn't selling yourself short.

HAHA. A PC without problems since December? I think that's a new record! Come back in 2 years and let us know how well it continues to function.

I was a PC user for 11 years. I didn't get a Mac cause I thought they were snobby and I loved building and rebuilding. After countless late nights fixing everything that could go wrong and did, I just got tired of it. I now realize why Mac users are snobby - they have every right to be. In 5 years I've been to the Genius Bar once for my Mac Book - I killed the battery and needed it replaced. My fault. People think Macs are indestructible, treat them like crap and then complain like babies when it breaks. Get a grip.

PCs are like an outdated Klingon vessel. Sure it'll get you back to Earth, but it requires some serious jury-rigging.

Macs are like the Enterprise: You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home.

I'm sorry but Mac's are closed system desktop appliances. It gets old you replace it.

No appliance is fool-proof, but Mac is pretty damned close.
LOL even a mac user agrees that they are just Appliances :D

Appliance: an instrument or device designed for a particular use or function

So why is that funny? :meh:

A computer is not an appliance ;)

PCs are like an outdated Klingon vessel. Sure it'll get you back to Earth, but it requires some serious jury-rigging.

Macs are like the Enterprise: You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home.

You are the one that compared the mac to a toaster.

If your going to do a Sci-FI comparison at least compare them to cylons ;)

If you think PC's are outdated and require "jury-rigging" you never had a good computer.

I've had the same PC case on my desktop for the last 7 years. Its internals are cleanly installed. I have upgraded parts as they got older to increase performance. I have never had to "jury-rig" anything to maintain correct functionality. If you or someone else had to do that to you system you or they did not know what they were doing.

I have seen many many bastardized excuses for PC's that were made by people that "thought" they knew what they were doing.

LOL even a mac user agrees that they are just Appliances :D

Appliance: an instrument or device designed for a particular use or function

So why is that funny? :meh:

A computer is not an appliance ;)

You are the one that compared the mac to a toaster.

If your going to do a Sci-FI comparison at least compare them to cylons ;)

If you think PC's are outdated and require "jury-rigging" you never had a good computer.

I've had the same PC case on my desktop for the last 7 years. Its internals are cleanly installed. I have upgraded parts as they got older to increase performance. I have never had to "jury-rig" anything to maintain correct functionality. If you or someone else had to do that to you system you or they did not know what they were doing.

I have seen many many bastardized excuses for PC's that were made by people that "thought" they knew what they were doing.

Well, we don't have to argue what is an isn't an appliance. It's just a word.

You may be the exception to the rule because you obviously have the patience to care for your PC. The average user, say...my Mom, doesn't. Most people don't enjoy building and rebuilding. I don't anymore. I'd rather spend that time doing real work and getting paid for it. The point is, in order to have an excellent PC, you have to put in the work upgrading and installing over the years. You have to build it from the ground up. With Macs, you don't. They just work out of the box. I'd rather buy a new lens every couple of years than replace an old video card or other miscellaneous organs.

To each his own. If you don't want hassle, get a Mac. If you enjoy replacing parts every couple of years or building your own machine, buy a PC. Besides, KeyNote is worth the price of admission any day over PowerPoint. It's simply beautiful. Design-wise, Mac beats PC every time.

p.s. Hey Alan92RTTT, don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing. You don't know what I know. No need to be uncivilized.

I'm sorry you consider my comments uncivilized.

But the reality is a properly built PC will run for years.

In the late 90's I helped my wife's friend choose a locally built PC. She is very nice and intelligent but she is not a tech head in any way. (and she'll admit it). Just last year I finally replaced that computer for her as it had gotten too slow for her. It ran fine for her for over 10 years. My dad has several systems for the grandkids to use that are still running pentumum II processors.

Mac hard ware is PC hardware in a pretty box.
Mac OS is a nix variant(I think its beOS based not sure tho) with a pretty UI on it.

Neither system in inherently better than the other.

Mac's are more expensive for the same damn thing in a pretty box.

Give it a rest already. Use what works for you, and stop caring about what everyone else uses.

Give it a rest already. Use what works for you, and stop caring about what everyone else uses.

What he said.... Same for Nikon versus Canon SNAFU.
Except neither Nikon nor Canon run ad campaigns saying how garbage and useless the other one is. Rather, they just focus on highlighting their OWN products and features.

Mac's are more expensive for the same damn thing in a pretty box.
/end of thread.

Forget ads... there is equal bashing on both topics among users.

Who cares which product is more expensive... its the consumer's money. Its an idiot stance from Windows camp. If it is more expensive than the market will bear then the consumers will go elsewhere (Microsoft) for their needs.

Apparently that isn't happening...

New King of Technology - Apple Overtakes Microsoft - NYTimes.com

/end of thread. hahaha :lol: joke.

Because they have a brilliant business model of hype and competition smear. Their products are good, but not the godsend that Jobs believe they are.

Besides, all that article really says is that it took Apple an entire line of hardware products and super aggressive hype campaigning just to make a dent in what is essentially a software company.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Because they have a brilliant business model of hype and competition smear. Their products are good, but not the godsend that Jobs believe they are.

Besides, all that article really says is that it took Apple an entire line of hardware products and super aggressive hype campaigning just to make a dent in what is essentially a software company.

Is it so hard to accept that just maybe Apple knows how to design products that the consumer/market wants and is willing to pay premium for?

Funny.. not to long ago... the same crowd was saying that Apple was a niche market product usually pointing out market presence (lack of) as an indication. The opposite is starting to occur and suddenly the information is no longer consider important to the discussion... tossed away in the "aggressive hype campaigning" trashbin. (not like Microsoft hasn't done the same in years past)

+1

What a pointless discussion. One which the OP no longer cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back