Is it time to switch to Nikon?

sure there is some nice shorts on there, but for real pro use an slr is not the tool. How many memory cards would you need for a start, my partner recently shot around 2 and a half hours of vid for a 30 second advert.

3 8gb cards are enough. Portable storage is where it's at. There's limitations, but there are also huge pros to using a dslr.

What about things like overall stability, xlr audio inputs/outputs ?

also sounds silly but wielding a large camcorder, mic and boom and saying channel4 will get you an awful lot. Not sure an slr would have the same effect

shoulder camera rigs, tripods, and stabilizer systems with loupes, follow focus, and screens made for dslrs. When audio is needed I have an excess of mics and other recording devices, including on camera soutions.

I'm looking more at doing music photography and shorts, not journalism.

Also in response to your original question. Considering this BBC News - Most of the UK missing out on HD how much is the diff between 720 and 1080 gonna make ?

I don't think I'm going to have anything on tv anytime soon. Evryone has said shoot in HD and down convert when needed. Beside having a full HD file, converting from the better format leaves you with a Breyer overall iq. Like shooting a 21 mp file with noise and shrinking it for less apparent noise and better sharpness.

I don't think I'm going to have anything on tv anytime soon. Evryone has said shoot in HD and down convert when needed. Beside having a full HD file, converting from the better format leaves you with a Breyer overall iq. Like shooting a 21 mp file with noise and shrinking it for less apparent noise and better sharpness.

Fair point our hd cams do shoot much better than the the non hd ones (albeit they have much better glass, and are much better cameras)

Last edited:
A guy's gotta love Canon bodies and their Err messages

This thread details the Err 30 message 'Err 30 Shooting is not possible...' on new 5d Mark II - Canon Digital Photography Forums

“Shooting is not possible” | Timothy Armes' Blog

The list goes on....plus all those wonderfful Err99 messages....not to bash Canon, but their bodies have had a lot of problems with Err malfunctions shutting down the cameras,and it has been going on for years. I've had both my Canon's Err99 on me more than once, and that is something I have never had from any Nikon body--D1,D1h,D2x,D70,D40...never a single camera body Err message in nine years from a Nikon body.

Not sure about the video issues...I just want a camera that I can rely upon.

"How many electrical engineers does it take to fix a lightbulb?, none, management wants this now so we'll ship and fix it in firmware."

Inside joke at our uni kind of describes not just Canon but a LOT of modern companies.

"How many electrical engineers does it take to fix a lightbulb?, none, management wants this now so we'll ship and fix it in firmware."

Inside joke at our uni kind of describes not just Canon but a LOT of modern companies.

Video games and dlc.

Video games and dlc.

Actually I wasn't thinking DLC as much as EA releasing a game that they knew full well crashed on ATI hardware with the plan to release a patch before Christmas knowing full well that a lot of the people buying the game right now won't be playing it for another 2 weeks. :lmao: I hate that company.

Canon is e-mailing me a shipping label, this repair extends the warranty 6 months. The rep said write a letter with the issues and include the two previous repair numbers in with the camera and they'll make a decision at the repair outlet as to what to do.

If it doesn't get replaced, I'm going to write to some one higher up and find out if there's something I can do to get a camera that's not a dud. If I end up with a new one, I may sell this one for a 1D MKIV.

I mean, being able to shoot a concert with a 17-40 f/4 at shutter speeds around 1/200 because of a very usable ISO 6400 is just really hard to get away from.

And my 30D has been bullet proof. I've never had an issue with that.

It's always time to switch to Nikon.
Haha, seriously though, I have several friends who have had to send their 5DMarkII's in for the same repairs over and over again. It's only a hassle when you have a warranty but if their cameras keep it up, they're going to end up costing them another camera.

Canon is e-mailing me a shipping label, this repair extends the warranty 6 months. The rep said write a letter with the issues and include the two previous repair numbers in with the camera and they'll make a decision at the repair outlet as to what to do.

If it doesn't get replaced, I'm going to write to some one higher up and find out if there's something I can do to get a camera that's not a dud. If I end up with a new one, I may sell this one for a 1D MKIV.

I mean, being able to shoot a concert with a 17-40 f/4 at shutter speeds around 1/200 because of a very usable ISO 6400 is just really hard to get away from.

And my 30D has been bullet proof. I've never had an issue with that.

I would toss in your letter to Cannon. "Most electronic firms replace items when it failes for the same reason a third time. Or should I go buy a Nikon that doesn't even fail a first time". :mrgreen: See if that helps out any. ;) That might get their attention. :mrgreen:

That Nikon statement is not true, but it will tell them what your thinking and just might loosen up their decision on replacement a little more.

Most reactions

Back