Is it true that Nikon lenses dont have weather sealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To begin I want to say that I am actually a big fan of Nikon, and I am not trying to start anything here. A D3x, and a D3s combo with some high end glass would be a dream combo for me.

My question is if it is true or not that no Nikon lenses have weather sealing?

I tried looking it up, and couldnt really get a solid answer on it.

The Nikon website doesnt list it as a feature as far as I could see.

I did read somewhere that there were some seals though, but never quoted as weather sealing.

Derrel, do you know the answer to this one? You got a lot of Nikon experience.

I did read somewhere that there were some seals though, but never quoted as weather sealing.

DPreview "quotes" it as such:

"The lens [...] is built to last with extensive use of magnesium in its construction, and weather and dust sealing, including around the mount."

Nikon releases 24mm f/1.4 G ED fast wideangle lens: Digital Photography Review

"The AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II has a tough magnesium body, incorporating weather and dust sealing and lens protective glass, [...] "

Nikon announces 200-400mm f/4 ED VR II: Digital Photography Review

Etc. Even the lowly 50 f/1.4 AF-S is weather sealed.

Older, AF-D lenses are not. AFAIK

DPreview "quotes" it as such:

"The lens [...] is built to last with extensive use of magnesium in its construction, and weather and dust sealing, including around the mount."

Nikon releases 24mm f/1.4 G ED fast wideangle lens: Digital Photography Review

"The AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II has a tough magnesium body, incorporating weather and dust sealing and lens protective glass, [...] "

Nikon announces 200-400mm f/4 ED VR II: Digital Photography Review

Etc. Even the lowly 50 f/1.4 AF-S is weather sealed.

Older, AF-D lenses are not. AFAIK

OK ty.

I see it now for at least most of the G series lenses at dpreview.com...I just find it strange that the official site or B&H dont list it as a feature.

I am still a noob when it comes to Nikon gear...

Nikon gear - but but you have shiny canon gear why entertain considering the enemy side!!
;)

Ps remember that weathers sealing is a great marketing term that has no defined meaning (seriously try to find out what canon or nikon consider as weather sealing and you'll be hardpressed to get a definitive answer).

Nikon gear - but but you have shiny canon gear why entertain considering the enemy side!!
;)

Ps remember that weathers sealing is a great marketing term that has no defined meaning (seriously try to find out what canon or nikon consider as weather sealing and you'll be hardpressed to get a definitive answer).

Ya this is the root of my question I guess...

It does seem that there are different grades, and it isnt ever really defined exactly by anyone.

Can I delete my thread? If so I am not seeing where.

Now that the question is answered I realize that the title was prob not ideal lol.

This thing needs to be locked or deleted please, if a moderator is seeing this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back