Is it worth getting a new 30D/40D body?

John Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've been doing photography for about a year now and have a canon 350D with a sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Lense and was wandering how much difference a new camera body would make to the overall image quality, is something like a canon 30D or 40D going to be worth me forking out for? Because at the moment i'm not sure i'm getting the most out of my lense, what do you think?

the 40D is amazing, but if you only have one lens...I'd invest in a few more before thinking about a new body. There's nothing wrong with the 350D.

There are some things that a 30D or 40D can do better than your camera...and while the image quality may be a little better, I wouldn't recommend upgrading strictly for the image quality.

Upgrading from a 350D to a 40D will not do much to your overall image quality, as the 350D is perfectly capable of creating great images. If you feel that you dont get the most out of your lenses, a camera upgrade will not help much.

What you get in a 40D though, is a camera that is better to handle. It fits better in your hand and you have better controls on the camera body. Its also faster, but except from an upgraded sensor with a few more megapixels, there is not much in the camera that will improve your image quality dramatically.

Your Sigma 18-50 2.8 should also be a great lens, so if you are not happy with your results, you probably need more practice rather than equipment.

Thanks for the replys. I haven't really looked into it an awful lot i just did a quick search and came across some images that seemed to have a lot better colors on the better model but that might have been a bad example.

And ye the lens is great i love it, i was just curious to how much it actually improves with a model that costs so much more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back