Is it worth it (GAS question)?

elemental

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was looking for a fast 50mm to play with on my K100D, and it turned out that the cheapest way to get one was attached to an old film body. I bought a Ricoh KR-5 Super II primarily for the 50mm f/2 attached, but ended up putting a roll of film in just to try it. Fast forward a few rolls and the K100D spends most of its time in the bag while I am having more fun that I've had in a long time with cameras with the Ricoh. I really enjoy the mechanical action and the way that I am in no way limited by the capabilities of my camera.

That said, the Ricoh feels a little plasticky and I would love a power grip option and depth of field preview. I have looked back through the Pentax manual SLRs and it seems an MX might be the perfect camera. I can't decide if the MX will really heighten my zen hippie retro photo experience or if I'm just GASsy- what do you guys think? Will the MX be more satisfying?

if you can find an LX, you'll be in heaven. They show up for not too much money these days.

MX, Program and K1000's can be had cheap, around $50 to $75. The LX goes for much more, $200 to $500.

P30T's go for DIRT cheap, but use more plastic.

if you can find an LX, you'll be in heaven. They show up for not too much money these days.

I hear nothing but good things about the amazing LX, but really want to keep it to fully manual and also love the tiny size of my Ricoh, so I think the MX is the way to go for me (not to mention the price- yikes).

I own an LX and it is a wonderful camera.... The interchangeable viewfinder is a wonderful feature and the quality is A+. On the other hand, at $200-$500 (mine fell in that range when purchased a couple years ago) I highly doubt that it is a cost effective way to get a film companion to your K100D. This especially doesn't make any sense if you already have the Ricoh... remember body==shutter+lightbox.... it doesn't matter if the body is marked "Ricoh" or "Pentax".

Personally, I'd invest whatever money you are thinking of spending into more Takumar/Pentax K-mount manual lenses (primes). You'll enjoy those primes on either body (K100D included) and expand your bag rather than just getting a metal/better quality/retro version of your Ricoh.

If your true intention is the "zen hippie retro photo experience", then I would recommend a good condition K1000 over the MX. The K1000 is cheaper, more manual, more of a cult following, more of that retro student camera you are looking for. Hell... if you really want something retro/special/unique/showy to carry around, get a chrome K1000 and have the leatherette recovered with gator or snake skin (www.cameraleather.com)

If your true intention is the "zen hippie retro photo experience", then I would recommend a good condition K1000 over the MX. The K1000 is cheaper, more manual, more of a cult following, more of that retro student camera you are looking for. Hell... if you really want something retro/special/unique/showy to carry around, get a chrome K1000 and have the leatherette recovered with gator or snake skin (www.cameraleather.com)

Interesting. My first intention was a K1000, but I was turned off by the size and the cult following. Basically, I was wondering if the MX would be more "fun to use" than the Ricoh, which his a fairly ridiculous question in the first place. I think it's settled: I'm spending the money on a basic setup to develop B&W, which should do a lot more for my "photo experience" than any camera body. I also won't have to shoot stupid C-41 black and white either.

In the end it depends on you... For me, the Ricoh and MX will produce the same result. I collect old glass and cameras... the old glass and how they render is far more interesting.

I do find it difficult to understand the intent of your question. On one hand you want something to enjoy the "zen hippie retro photo experience". On the other hand, you want the MX which is less "zen hippie retro" and significantly updated in terms of build and features. The MX is the more "professional" version of the ever popular ME (one of my favorites) albeit the ME is aperture only. Both the MX and ME are more advanced than the ol'match needle metered K1000.

The best analogy I can come up with are VW Beetles (the cute car). The new VW beetles have a similar shape and look but are a completely different from the original. If you want zen hippie retro, get the original (K1000) and enjoy the experience (lacking performance and rust included). If you want to look "retro" but don't want to experience dated automotive technology, then get the new VW (MX). With that said, the new VW isn't going to be a significantly different experience from the other cars (your Ricoh) in its class.

Me... I'd take a super beetle over a current bug any day. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
Well, the MX isn't much newer and is still completely manual and metal. It's just smaller and has a depth-of-field preview. Are they really that different? It's not like I'm comparing a K1000 and an LX.

Match needling metering.... among other things... MX is a MUCH more updated camera than the K1000. They are different. MX is closer to that period's professional quality. The K1000 is the quintessential student camera.. no frills.

As I said... it depends on you. Do you want to enjoy the 60s VW bug identified with the down to earth hippie time or would you rather have a much more updated 2000 VW that has similar lines? The 2000+ VW beetle is technically better than the 60s original in every way except that it isn't the original. MX is better than the K1000 in every way except that it isn't the original student camera.

Personally.. manual Takumar/Pentax Manual primes + your Ricoh is a better recipe for enjoyment of film over two film bodies (Ricoh + MX) with just one lens (your 50 f/2).

Some other worthy Pentax SLRs are the K2, KX and KM models. These have
a more sturdy build quality than the K1000 and more features.

Most reactions

Back