Is it worth it to replace Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art with Canon 16-35mm f4L

TonyUSA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am selling my Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 art (only for APS-C sensor) for $550 on my 50D to replace with Canon 16-35mm f4L to use it on full frame 5D m3 and have to come up with $450.

Is it worth it to do that in the term of picture quality?

Thank you,

Although I don't have experience with either lens, I can say the 16-35 f2.8L ii is exceptionally sharp. From perhaps 10 feet away, I can read small printed text on a document the subject of the photo was holding. I use that lens as well for 2-3 foot 'closeup' work taking photos of stuff I've put on ebay.

Whether you go with the f4 or f2.8 version, I would expect you'd get the same results.

I have other two hrs to make decision to let my Sigma go or to keep it... More suggestions are welcome.

what do you want to put it on?
if you want a lens for your 5DIII then you want the full frame lens. not really a difficult choice there.

if you want a lens for your 5DIII then you want the full frame lens. not really a difficult choice there.

At the moment the Sigma lens is on 50D but if Canon 16-35mm f4L on 5D III will give me better picture quality then I would like to sale Sigma. But if over all picture quality of 50D with Sigma is about the same as Canon 16-35mm f4L then I just going to keep Sigma and not going to buy Canon 16-35mm.

At the moment the Sigma lens is on 50D but if Canon 16-35mm f4L on 5D III will give me better picture quality then I would like to sale Sigma. But if over all picture quality of 50D with Sigma is about the same as Canon 16-35mm f4L then I just going to keep Sigma and not going to buy Canon 16-35mm.

the sigma 18-35 is a DX lens. your not going to get optimal results with it on a full frame camera because the lens was not designed to cover a full frame sensor.
if your looking for a lens to put on a 5DIII, a full frame camera, then you really want to get a FX lens which was designed to cover a full frame sensor....
if thats the case, then the only sensible choice is to sell the DX 18-35 and buy the FX 16-35.
if your intention is to use the lens on your 50D then i would just keep the sigma lens, but since your original post said the lens was for a 5DIII camera, my suggestion
is to buy a lens meant for full frame cameras.

if your asking about image quality on your DX 50D, then i would just keep the sigma lens unless you really NEED that extra 2mm of width.

On the other word, Would #2 will give me MUCH or just a bit better picture quality than #1?

1. Canon 50D with Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 Art

2. Canon 5D mkIII with Canon 16-35mm f4L

Last edited:
On the other word, Would #2 will give me MUCH or just a bit better picture quality than #1?

1. Canon 50D with Sigma 18-35mm f1 Art

2. Canon 5D mkIII with Canon 16-35mm f4L

ooohhhh..
i misunderstood the question.
a lot will depend on shooting conditions and what your are shooting.
however...
the 5DIII has a lot of advantages over the 50D in terms of overall performance, as well as low light capabilities since its full frame. its a much better camera.
its kinda hard to compare the two.
the 50d is a much older camera, much older tech.
i would definitely take the 5DIII combo over the 50d

you will see improvement in image quality, low light performance, autofocus performance...
its hard to say how much exactly.

[/QUOTE]

if your intention is to use the lens on your 50D then i would just keep the sigma lens, but since your original post said the lens was for a 5DIII camera, my suggestion
is to buy a lens meant for full frame cameras.

if your asking about image quality on your DX 50D, then i would just keep the sigma lens unless you really NEED that extra 2mm of width.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

Thank you, I will let my Sigma go today then.

Most reactions

Back