Is it worth to spend more 400$ for D7000 instead D5100?

martanh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everybody, I'm newbie in photography an now I get confused when choosing what camera to start with. I did some research and found D5100 and D7000 is in our budget range. Both of them has the same sensor, does it mean same quality of pictures ? Color depth? I just focus on Photography not making video on DSLR camera. I love taking landscape , nature , and city in the night so I need a camera that can gives me very excellent pictures in these situations. Is there a huge different in quality pics between two cameras ? and what is the point for spending more 400$ for d7000. Thanks so much if anybody can help me answer my questions.

There are MANY additional upgrades to the D7000 besides just the sensor. DEFINITELY worth the extra few bucks.

It's the same sensor, but that is where the likenesses end. First and foremost there are 39 focus points in the D7000. 11 in the D5100. Obviously the auto focus motor in the body is a BIG bonus. It also has a much better battery life, shoots faster frames per second (6vs4); the viewfinder is much brighter and better; it's weather sealed to take more hard core use; has double memory card slots; less shutter delay; D7000 has the top LCD to show your working settings all of the time; commands speedlites off camera... The D7000 is set up more for the serious to professional user. The D5100 is set up with the new to DSLR entry level in mind-complete with the in camera editing and the assisted/teaching module.

You can also get a grip for the D7k.

Thanks so much MleeK and sparky. Those things that u pointed out are great, but how about picture quality? Is it reallt different?

^^Exactly what she said.

If you can afford it, and if you are really serious about photography, definitely go with the D7000.
I bought the D5100, because as a single mom with two boys in college, I simply could not afford to spend any more money. As it is, I'm still working with just the kit lens, and it will probably be a few months still before I can buy another lens.
Don't get me wrong--I love my D5100, it's a great starter DSLR. But I already know it is going to limit me somewhat, and I can see a D7000 (or better) in my future in a year or two.

It really is. The built in AF motor makes it worth it alone--you will recoup that money as it allows you to basically buy ANY Nikon lens ever made, where as you need the AF-S lenses for the D5100

Thanks so much MleeK and sparky. Those things that u pointed out are great, but how about picture quality? Is it reallt different?
Picture quality? If you're that new to photography, I don't know that you're going to notice a HUGE difference between your photos on the D7000 versus the 5100...you're going to need to concentrate on the basics anyway--composition, basic settings and how they work together (like ISO, aperture and shutter speed). But eventually, if you get really good, then yes, the picture quality is going to be better on the D7K *because* of all the things that have already been pointed out about it--the focus points, faster frames per second, the commander mode to use speedlights off camera...

Thanks all of you for ur help. I decided to get D7000 tonite and ordered already on Amazon. Cant wait to play with it.

Good luck with your Nikon. Best choice you could made.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Thanks all of you for ur help. I decided to get D7000 tonite and ordered already on Amazon. Cant wait to play with it.

Congrats. Best thing you've ever done is not make the mistake I made and ordered a 5xxx just to turn around and sell it on craigslist for the 7xxx with great features we use every day

I have both, and yes the D7000 is worth $400 more.

That said, I prefer the D5100 for Trips, Hikes, and HD1080 Video at 30fps.
I think the image quality is marginally better too. (Newer technology).

Good for a backup but the D5100 is not near as good as the D7000 for Event Photography.

I would get "Hands ON" before buying.

Thanks everybody, I just got D7000 today and waiting for some occasion to start my first shot with 18-105mm lens. Do I really need UV filter and if i do what brand name should I choose to keep quality of pics as filter doesnt exist? Appreciate any recommend an thanks again

Thanks everybody, I just got D7000 today and waiting for some occasion to start my first shot with 18-105mm lens. Do I really need UV filter and if i do what brand name should I choose to keep quality of pics as filter doesnt exist? Appreciate any recommend an thanks again

Why wait for an occasion!?! Go out and enjoy your camera!

[QUOTE Do I really need UV filter and if i do what brand name should I choose to keep quality of pics [/QUOTE]
I've been taking them off my old lens and getting better pictures.
After many years and over 1 million pictures, I have never scratched a front element.
If you do have a special purpose for one, be sure to go for high quality "MultiCoated".
Nikon and B+W make the best. Tiffen and Hoya have a wide variety of filters including excellent ones, so be careful there.

mjhoward: i mean i will take some pic at some place arround my house but my most favorite thing is shooting landscape and night city from very high building so i need to wait :). Thank you for your advice Roger i think i will choose the good quality of nikon or b&w or dont use ;)) thanks

Most reactions

Back