is it worth

hot shot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Looking at getting a 30D but i currently have a 350D would it be worth me up grading or should i just buy a few decent lenses ??/
Cheers for your input
Dom

A lot depends on why you want to upgrade. Are there any specific features on the 30D that you really need and are willing to pay that kind of money for? What lenses do you currently have? What kind of photography do you want to do?

If you are looking for ways to improve your photography, unfortunately nothing really beats practice, practice, practice. Getting good glass helps, but only in the case of image quality, like sharpness, contrast, etc.

I agree with Marc, it depends on why you want to upgrade. The image quality with either camera is excellent. I would certainly say the 30D is a better camera...but I don't think I would pay that much just for the upgrade. Not when there are so many nice lenses I'd like to have.

well i mainly do car + motorsport photography and have a nice little short lense that suits the bill perfectly i have a metz cl45 -1 which is working realy well and i think the faster shutter speeds and the more refinded iso speeds and the more meetering modes would be handy but im just not sure :S

I have a 20D, which I think is capable of shutter speeds up to 1/8000...I've never used anything like that. The 5fps is nice though.

The 30D has spot metering (even the 20D doesn't have that), which would be nice...but I usually end up shooting and checking the histogram more than taking time to carefully meter a scene anyway.

I think the biggest thing is the feel of the camera. The 350D is quite small and light...the 30D is bigger and heavier. The layout of the controls is different as well. The 30D has the fantastic thumb wheel.

It's up to you...consider that the 350D may be up for replacement sometime this year.

I don't know if the 350D will do this, but something that is really important to me is the ability to move the focus trigger from the shutter button the the * button with a custom function.

markc said:
I don't know if the 350D will do this, but something that is really important to me is the ability to move the focus trigger from the shutter button the the * button with a custom function.

I own a 350D. In the manual, C.Fn-4 refers to the Shutter button/AE lock function, which is in the default position (0). Custom position number 1 is defined as follows: "Press the * button to autofocus and press the shutter button halfway to attain AE lock." Now, I'm not sure if this definition corresponds exactly to your definition of the * function in what I assume is your 30D. But if it does, then both models do have that same custom function.

Big Mike said:
II think the biggest thing is the feel of the camera. The 350D is quite small and light...the 30D is bigger and heavier. The layout of the controls is different as well. The 30D has the fantastic thumb wheel.

It's up to you...consider that the 350D may be up for replacement sometime this year.

wow got my mits on a 30d today and the feel of it just sooo amazing the wiehgt is perfect and theres plently to grab hold of the shuter click is soo posotive as well I love the layout of the buttons and the bigger screen. Sod the price. GUYS i think im in love. :heart::lol:

Ya, The 350D was just out when I got my 20D...but the feel of the 20D was a big factor. I just don't like the feel or layout of the 350D...and the 20D felt great. It also helped that I was using an EOS 650...the original EOS camera...and it's also big and heavy.

I recently got a 30D as an upgrade to my film camera (elan 7n), but I already was pretty happy with my lens setup so that wasn't much of an issue for me. Some of the selling points of the 30D over a drebel were: it has 2 dials for easier control of shutter speed and aperture while in manual mode; it has a larger LCD that is actually useful; it has a heavier, sturdier feel; IMO it has a more "pro" look to it (yeah I'm materialistic); and its spot metering feature.

The 20D is also still a good option for a lower price. It's almost the same camera as the 30D, minus some not-so-important enhancements like spot metering and the larger LCD.

if you guys want a nice hefty, feel like theres actually a piece of camera in your hands, why not just get a nikon :rofl:

lol, sry, i had to. if it works for you, then use it

Most reactions

Back