is local shop full of it on lens price ?

fwellers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fwellers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been eyeing the Nikon 24mm 2.8d AF lens, for something a little wider. I just bought a 35mm last week, and am deciding if I should give it back for a 24mm.
I probably won't especially now, but thought I'd throw this out there to here comments.
All the online stores have this lens for ~ $359. My local shop is saying I would have to pay $485 ! He even said that he bought it recently and that is almost his cost.
Generally the shop keeps up with the online stores on lenses and bodies, but not this time. He told me that Nikon just had a price increase, and it has to do with the value of the Yen vs the US dollar. He said there will be another price increase in a month or two.
He told me that the online sites probably just hadn't realized the new prices yet or something to that effect.

My question is, do you think he's trying to pull a fast one, or is he being straight forward ? I can see that maybe BH and Adorama have some older stock that they are selling and that's why they haven't upped their prices on these lenses. Not sure.

Just fishing for some comments on this.

thanks,
floyd

Nope price rises are all the news at the momment in the photo world. Thing is online stores are probably still shifting old stock bought at the old lower price - and so until that stock is sold they can keep selling at a cheaper price. Once they run out of older stock and have to order in more at the new prices they will start having to up their own prices.

And yes Nikon are going to have another price rise soonish

Nope he isnt scamming you. The online retailers are probably still selling form on hand stock. You will see a rise in the prices when they have to reorder.

Heh, well - I got my 24 f/2.8 off eBay complete with a B+W UV filter in mint condition for $240 after shipping. Anything over $300 is a ripoff IMO.

Most reactions

Back