Is my camera good enough to go semi-pro?

porridge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I'm new here. Wanted to ask your advice.
I am a keen digital photographer, and recently more and more friends, family and others (school playgroup for instance!) have been asking me to shoot portraits. It's got me wondering whether I could perhaps start a small business doing this in my local area. Bear in mind this a a very tentative foray!
The thing is, right now i have just a Canon Powershot G9 (latest), which although is fantastic, is not a big s****y pro digital SLR! I wonder if it would be considered acceptable to start with this, maybe build up slowly, start buying second-hand lights/ backdrops etc as and when.
Would I be a laughing stock with my little G9? should i start saving and upgrade?

EDIT - why on earth did the censor edit that word - its wasnt swearing! Just shiny, maybe i mis-spelt!

Last edited:
First of all, hi and welcome to TPF!

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'semi-pro', so it is hard for me to answer your question. However, it might be worth reading the two threads below. You might find them useful.

Thread 1
Thread 2

You COULD do it with that, but I don't think I would suggest it, even totally consumer dSLR's will produce better pics and have the option to change lenses, thats my oppinion anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

Really, the only thing that should matter, are the results. If you can make great results that people are happy with, using that camera, then good for you.

Of course, there are better cameras and I would suggest that investing in a DSLR camera would be a good decision.

I could shoot portraits or a wedding, and make the client happy with a Canon G9 (and pro lighting gear), but it would be a huge pain in the butt. A DSLR would make it much easier. Also, even though most folks don't know much about the important aspects of photography, they tend to think bigger is better. With good lighting, exposure, and processing they most likely couldn't tell the difference between ISO 100 photos taken with a G9 or a DSLR, but they may take you less seriously with a compact camera than something that looks bigger and more complex. Silliness, but that's they way the world works. Canon is selling refurb XT's for $400.

-------------

Last edited:
no. its not as easy as you think.

David Hobby, the writer of the Strobist blog, has posted some shots with his G9 that you wouldn't be able to discern if it was from an XT or the G9 without the EXIF.

He could do it. But he's got years and years of experience.

Last edited:
-------------

Last edited:
You could, but you'd be much better off with a DSLR. In order to start making money, your primary means of producing great images is talent, however good glass and lighting do sure help. I would think that the second most important thing to have other than talent is lighting. Definitely get a good flash with a diffuser for portraits. High end glass is something you can do without, however I wouldn't suggest it. Glass can make all the difference.

As for your gear, I would definitely upgraede to a DSLR. You could probably do without one, but you have much more potential with an SLR. Your cheapest way to go would probably be a refurb XT body, a 50mm F1.8, and a good Canon flash (sorry, not very familiar with Canon stuff). In total, its going to cost you a bit. But you'll get a huge improvement of images from your G9.

[opinion] It's not the size of the boat it is the size of the boat relative to the motion of the ocean. It is possible to get many kinds of pro quality shots with a G9 (and I'm not at all familiar with the camera) just like it is possible to get pro quality shots with a Holga. The thing is those shots may not be the shots that you want to get. The look of the image is the product of many things mainly photographers skill+knowledge and the look of the camera. No matter how good you are there are looks you cannot get with a Holga the benefit of a DSLR or SLR is that you have more options as to the looks you're capable of getting.[/opinion]

Thank you everyone - it seems that basically its a resounding 'yes i should upgrade to a DSLR'. Interesting that so many of you point out the value of appearances - i.e. clients taking a big fancy camera more seriously.

I wonder what would happen if technology brought professional camera sizes/looks down to equal that of consumer models. I bet it wouldn't happen - there would be no market for it with photographers - precisely because of keeping up appearances!

Anyway, this is what I suspected.. I have a lot to learn - its just that i have all this demand already so i'm anxious to get going!

I have lots of other questions - but im going to start reading now. But many thanks for taking the time to give me advice

Most reactions

Back