Is my camera okay to begin with?

Kaymarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello I have always been a photography fan but am just now really making it a hobby.
I have a FUJIFILM FinePix s700 and was wondering if this is a good camera to start out on? Is there a better camera to start out on thats not super expensive?

Thank You!

you make the pixels not the camera... i say start where you are!

Not really sure what your asking. The camera is fine. It says so in it's name. It's a good camera. There are better, there are worse. That will always be the case.

As previously posted, it's what you make of it. Does having better pots make you a better cook?

Your camera is fine to start on. You will eventually want to upgrade to a DSLR if you are making this a serious hobby, but your camera has all of the priority modes and manual. You'll be a bit limited with shallow depth of field with it and you'll have a little bit of a transition on that when you upgrade, but it's a good starter! Don't upgrade for low dollar at this point, save your pennies and upgrade to a decent DSLR when you are ready to take that leap

Nothing wrong with your camera. In fact, it is a pretty good one for starters. When it gets to the point that there are just too many things that you want to do and can't because of camera limitations, then is the time for a new one. This may never happen. Some of the greatest photographs of all time have been made with cameras that are very pedestrian compared to yours.

Very good advice Mleek!

Challenge yourself to only upgrade once you've pulled the absolute best you can from the camera and have exhausted it's abilities. It will take longer than you think.

Happy shooting. :)

What if I'm a mediocre cook using bad pots, but a really good stove? And I use a lot of MSG?

If you add a bit of salt you can pass anything off as good food. Go for it!

Acting as though a good photographer isn't restricted by technology barriers is childish. If technology doesn't matter, then why buy expensive cameras? Getting a good camera doesn't make you a good photographer, it allows you to take good pictures.

To OP: What are you taking pictures of? We can't tell you that the camera is good for what you want to take pictures of because we're not psychics. I'm sorry but these posts come in every single day and there's nothing more annoying than the "should i buy this?" threads.

But without knowing what you're actually interested in here's a quick breakdown of the camera:
It's a P&S, it's actually a Bridge but as it has no proper viewfinder and has a crappy [small] sensor I'll call it a P&S.
Fixed Lens: It's a low quality [because of all the optics required for the zoom range], slow zoom lens with a fairly decent range. It's fixed meaning if you want a much sharper, faster lens you're going to have to shell out much, much more money for a entirely new camera and an entirely new lens, which is probably going to be more expensive then the camera body itself if you're looking for fast and sharp.

It's only something you buy if you really intend to actually use the ridiculous 38-380mm zoom range on the camera, for maybe wildlife or some other purpose that would actually require such a hefty zoom range. Otherwise if you want to use it for anything else you might find it's a bit too slow and possibly not very sharp given the amount of optics in the lens required to give it the large zoom range.
I am only commenting on the lens itself because I don't care about the camera body, the body is a bridge so it should have all the manual controls you'll need, however the lens is what truly makes you able to take the pictures you need. And if that lens doesn't fit your needs or purposes, then you're throwing the entire camera out.

Last edited:
Does having better pots make you a better cook?

It's hard to boil spaghetti in a frying pan, for example. It's you, of course, but you do what your tools allow you to do.

To the OP: you might be able to learn the basics, limited by camera features. MLeek and Crollo give a good explanation of what you can expect. Most people start from P&S/bridge, so why not.

Since you ask for a better camera, any entry-level or used dSLR will be better, if you aim to learn more.

Last edited:
Hello I have always been a photography fan but am just now really making it a hobby.
I have a FUJIFILM FinePix s700 and was wondering if this is a good camera to start out on? Is there a better camera to start out on thats not super expensive?

Thank You!

Well you have this one so use it. If you dont like it after using it awhile then go look for a new one. Just go to a camera shop and play with some models but dont buy at first. Do some research before you buy. but your not quite there yet. So just go have some fun with what you have for now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back