Is my lens or sensor damaged?

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was just casually shooting until I realized something different that appeared on my images. There's this "black or white strip" that appears on a few of my shots. This never happened before and I am currently shooting with the Nikon D3100 (about 2 years old now) 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (about 6-7 months old). I was wondering if there's a problem with my camera's sensor; I shined a flash light on my sensor and it seems fine, no scratches/dust/etc. I also examined my 70-300mm, nothing seems abnormal, the glass isn't damaged.

This did not occur on all the shots, but did occur quite frequently on other ones. I tried changing my settings, focal length, etc. but it did not seems to affect the problem. When I attached my 35mm f/1.8, the problem did not occur, but still need to look further into this. I don't know, my equipment seems to be in working conditions but that black or white strip is extremely frustrating and wondering if you all had any ideas of this problem :/.

Thanks, it would be much appreciated, I also attached several of the messed up photos.

$Error 1.jpg$Untitled-2.jpg$Untitled-3.jpg

Looks more like a shutter issue.

That first "regular shot" looks like it has the same banding, albeit lighter.

I have no idea, really, what it is, but I imagine others will.

Are all the "problem" photos at a certain focal length, like all zoomed out to 300mm? Are you using flash? Or a hood not designed for that lens? If it doesn't happen with your 35mm, it certainly sounds like something related to that particular lens.

I was considering that, how would I see if my shutter has a problem?

For the first "regular shot" that white blurred line is a fence, but the other ones aren't. But ya, I just tried my 35mm and the same problem occurs. I am not using flash and have Nikon's original hood attached. I noticed that when I'm capturing something of higher contrast (eg. a bulb) it occurs more frequently, but then again the problem still occurs even when capturing non high contrast pictures.

I was considering that, how would I see if my shutter has a problem?

Send it in for repair.

Nikon will examine it and get back to you with the quote to fix it.

You can get a use 3100 for damn near the price of fixing a shutter.

Nikon has a 2 Year Warranty, at least in the UK, dont know where you live, get your D3100 fixed or replaced before it runs out.

John.

Check to see if your local Target has the D3100 on clearance. Target Canada had it for $149.99 with kit lens earlier this month but they are all gone now.

I think the lens does not support, Or a hood not designed for that lens? but for more, I hope someone can explain in more detail
buy.gif

Thanks for the replies, I am not extremely worried about it since I just purchased the Nikon D7100, but still a huge bummer that my camera is starting to deterioate only after 2.5 years...I would expect a DSLR to last longer than that, right? And I have taken a good amount of pictures/long exposures (don't know the exact number) with it and I do believe I am taking good care of it as well, I don't know I just hope nothing like that happens to my D7100.

Does anyone have any explanation on why a camera's shutter would start failing? Other then taking a lot of pictures.

Any helpful advice/tips to prevent this from happening again with my D7100, again I do believe I take care if my equipment pretty well.

Looks more like a shutter issue.

Agreed. Looks like a shutter problem to me.

Yep.

My Canon 5D started doing this last summer, right before the shutter died...

Ahh that sucks mate, sorry to hear about that. How did you have the camera for and how long did it die after you noticed this problem?

Thanks for everyones reply, much appreciated!!

Last edited:
.................Does anyone have any explanation on why a camera's shutter would start failing? Other then taking a lot of pictures.............

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Thanks for the replies, I am not extremely worried about it since I just purchased the Nikon D7100, but still a huge bummer that my camera is starting to deterioate only after 2.5 years...I would expect a DSLR to last longer than that, right? And I have taken a good amount of pictures/long exposures (don't know the exact number) with it and I do believe I am taking good care of it as well, I don't know I just hope nothing like that happens to my D7100.

Does anyone have any explanation on why a camera's shutter would start failing? Other then taking a lot of pictures.

Any helpful advice/tips to prevent this from happening again with my D7100, again I do believe I take care if my equipment pretty well.

The D3100 is an entry-level camera body. It was never intended for hard, heavy usage rather, as the name implies, as an entry level camera. To keep costs low many of the internal components are not as robust as they are in the more expensive bodies, and the shutter is one of those components. Shutter lives can be found by doing a Google search but they are really meaningless other than as a yardstick to compare one level of camera body to another. The D3100 has a reported AVERAGE shutter life of about 100,000 actuations but it could still fail at 10 or it could go to 500,000. All things mechanical eventually break, it's a fact of life.

Hello all!

I was just casually shooting until I realized something different that appeared on my images. There's this "black or white strip" that appears on a few of my shots. This never happened before and I am currently shooting with the Nikon D3100 (about 2 years old now) 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (about 6-7 months old). I was wondering if there's a problem with my camera's sensor; I shined a flash light on my sensor and it seems fine, no scratches/dust/etc. I also examined my 70-300mm, nothing seems abnormal, the glass isn't damaged.

This did not occur on all the shots, but did occur quite frequently on other ones. I tried changing my settings, focal length, etc. but it did not seems to affect the problem. When I attached my 35mm f/1.8, the problem did not occur, but still need to look further into this. I don't know, my equipment seems to be in working conditions but that black or white strip is extremely frustrating and wondering if you all had any ideas of this problem :/.

Thanks, it would be much appreciated, I also attached several of the messed up photos.

View attachment 69642View attachment 69643View attachment 69644

I would be interested in knowing the actuation count right now.....and here's to hoping you still have a warranty on it....congrats on the D7100....I've had mine for about a month and love it. Still learning things about it. I recommend David Busch's Guide to The Nikon D7100. He walks you through all the features and how to navigate the setup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back