Is my title going to be offensive to museum curators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my opinion that if: 1) the OP wasn't so relentlessly self-promoting at the expense of everything and everybody else and.
2) didn't beat the crap out of every picture he takes with the processing in a attempt to make it look special,
he wouldn't raise so many hackles.

As it is, he has alienated many people and anything good he has shot is submerged under that processing.

None of this matters. What matter is this..do I like or love my work.

Over the years I have heard all sorts of criticism about my photography...

"I don't like color."
"I don't like BW."
"I don't like HDR."
"I don't selective color."
"I don't like diffusion."
"I don't like Hyper-Real, it is too cartoonish."
"Your photos are too contrasty."
"Your photos are too grainy."
"Your trying to make something out of nothing."
"Your photos are too sensational."
"Don't photograph the homeless."
"Don't photograph kids without their parents permission."
"I find photos of people boring."
"Your not a good photographer."
'Your exploiting the homeless."
'Your photograph does not work."
"I don't like flower photographs they are boring."
"I don't understand what were you trying to say?"
"Digital photography is not real photography."
"You work is not museum worthy."
"Your work is overprocessed."
"Don't take pictures of people in public without their permission."
"Don't photograph anorexics."
"Cover up the breasts."
"Your photos are staged."
"I don't like your photo because it leaves nothing for the imagination."
"Your photography is vernacular."
"You should trash it."
"I don't like fisheye photos."
"I don't like wide-angle distortion."
"Don't send unsolicited photos to museums."
"She is a drunk, she is fat, she is an attention whore, she is trailer trash.'

If you are really listening to your instincts and not the critics you should be aware and add to that list that:

"Your attitude sucks"

This might also explain why people are commenting more about you than your photos. As for someone looking to get into galleries or museums I could see this being more of a problem than the wretched processing done on this piece of "art" or any attractive/offensive title you could come up with for it.

And as for blaming your widelux camera for this photos shortcomings, a quick google search for street photos taken with a widelux, showed me that its not the camera who'd be to blame here.

You'd also probably be wise to remove or blur out the guys face standing next to this "anorexic" woman if you're at all worried about offending someone. It may be his wife, mother, relative or friend.

OK Amolitor. 76% of the photo curators I wrote to are women. This % is from 74 postal mailings I did.

But this is not an accurate figure. Many times you cannot find out who is the curator of photography. It is a well guarded secret. So things get addressed generic otherwise. So the other 40 something mailings i did can go female, male or committee...I don't know.

I have a few hundred more records with my emails. (The lesser museums only get an email and not a print mailing.) But I don’t have that time to review them all nor do I really care. But from memory the stats are about the same.

The only reason I brought up the female curator issue Amolitor was the fact that most women I poll dislike my photos. But that is the majority of the curator audience I deal with and I just do the best I can with what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back