Is my title going to be offensive to museum curators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ArtSlant - 'Anorexic Under a Storm Cloud'

Remember when I told you in July the Catholic street fair I was shooting at was going to call the police because they didn‘t want me shooting pix of kids there? Well this was one of a handful of pix I got before being thrown out.

I talked about it on another forum and told them I just don't shoot kids, I shoot any damn thing I like from anorexics to kids to dogs...does not matter. Someone got offended when I mentioned anorexics. Does not matter a bit to me. As I said I shoot any damn thing I please if it is legal. But I have to deal with other people, namely museum curators. So give me some feedback on the naming of this pix.

Shot with a Widelux. First film I shot in eons. I may go with the hyper-real version, just have to see. This is the grunge, heavy duty freaked out version. I don’t care if you like it or not. Over processed, trying to make something out of nothing, vernacular, whatever. Just answer if you think the title will offend a museum curator or not.

But also keep in mind my entire portfolio shown at Artslant when you answer. If you find most of my work offensive then this should not be any big deal.

Feel free to offer a title that my be less offensive as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that museum curators are not offended by titles. Ever.

I don't think that lady is anorexic. Looks like just the victim of old age where muscles and skin tension fade away.

I think in this case, I would be much more concerned with the accuracy of the statement. Why do you think she is anorexic? If you don't know for a fact that she is, then I'd be worried about labeling her something that she isn't. Being labelled an anorexic could have serious effects for the woman in the photograph, and if she is not actually anorexic, I'd be concerned about being held accountable for the damage I caused.

what museum curator would ever see this title?

Catholic street fair I was shooting at was going to call the police because they didn‘t want me shooting pix of kids there

Talk about black pots and kettles. sheesh.

Anyhow, the problem isn't that anorexic is offensive, it's that mislabeling something in this way, which to me is not really artistically supportable, is just cheezy bad art.

What museum is in the market for HDR "making something from nothing" cheesily mislabeled art?

I am not sure this applies to art, but as a marketing director, I was unable to use photographs of people if I were using words like anorexic (or any health condition for that matter) if they were in fact not anorexic. Labeling someone is an opening for a slander lawsuit. Just my 2 cents.

Now, is the word anorexic offensive.... not if its used correctly.

He's asking about Museum Curators specifically, not about whether the title is generally offensive. Of course they won't be offended. They're not offended by either the title or the work "Piss Christ" or 10,000 imitators, after all. Come on.

Actually, this is just a troll to get people to look at his pictures, with a little defensive shield in case of negative feedback, but we'll ignore that.

Actually, this is just a troll to get people to look at his pictures, with a little defensive shield in case of negative feedback, but we'll ignore that.

it's okay, I disguised my negative feedback as well...

That's just a skinny woman in her 70s! Unless it was a portrait of somebody suffering from anorexia....a 'this is my pain/life' type of picture, I don't think anybody could or would call this art.

I think it would offend a curator if it were slanderous, which it very well might be.

Offend as in "where do you get off diagnosing that poor old lady as anorexic?" Not "oh my god somebody used the word anorexic!"

Im curious as to the thought process for deciding on the title.
Why use the word "anorexic" at all?
Why not "woman under a storm"
or just "under a storm"
"Colorful dress in a storm"?

Did you use that word to produce some sort of visceral response from people?
Anorexia is a medical condition. Are you certain she has it?

I don't personally find anything offensive.
I think people that are "offended" by something are too often using the word "offensive" to mask their own issues or inadequacies.

I also think the exact same thing about people that purposely use known "offensive" language and imagery to evoke an emotionally negative response from other people. (not saying that is or is not the case here, i have no idea what your intent was obviously)

Anyway, the picture isn't really my cup of tea, and having no experience whatsoever with museum art, i cannot say whether a curator would or would not have issues with either the title or the picture itself.

I still believe in this thing called integrity - a soundness of moral character thats clearly not demonstrated here.

Why would a museum even be interested in the first place?
The title is irrelevant.

Why would a museum even be interested in the first place?
The title is irrelevant.
I rather find myself agreeing with this. What I see is an image which IMO is poorly composed and grossly over-processed photographed and titled specifically with the intent of producing a controversial subject, rather in the same way that some people photograph the homeless for the "shock value". I'm not a museum curator, nor do I play one on television, but I can't imagine seeing this image displayed in a public gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back