Is nikon 5100 the right choice

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have managed to talk the wife around selling our bridge camera to buy a dslr. After doing lots of research I have decided to go for the Nikon d5100 (well 95% certain)

This where I'm hoping you forum users can help. Before I purchase it, does any one have any bad things to say about the Nikon d5100 as all reviews I have read seem good. Also if you have any other preference over the d5100 for the same price range I would be interested in your opinions.

james

First let say I love my 5100. I bought it factory referbished for about 500.00. The camera is somthing you can learn on for years. I bought a cheap grip, to add bulk. Added a 70-300 vr2 for reach. and with the 35mm I had from my d60 I was pretty well set.
Would I do it over, If I could have gotten the d7000 for the going price of 750 referb I would have bought that and a cheap kit lens to start. The advantage as I see in the 7000 is this. It has more features, which inclides an internal focus motor. I will probably keep the 5100 for a year then sell it and trade up. later Ed

I had a few issues with the d5100 but is a good all around camera, would you consider the d90? I'd prefer that over the d5100, but the d7000 even more so , but thats a little more pricey and the d90 is identical pretty much to d7000.

Sony A58 is going to be announced next week. 20mp sensor, 8 fps, OLED 100% viewfinder with a rumored price of $599 with an updated kit lens.

The D5100 has no HSS (High Speed Sync, the ability to use fill flash in bright sunlight). Thats the only feature I really miss photographically.

Theres a lot of nice to very nice to have stuff (second command wheel, more direct controls in general, weather sealing, second memory card slot for backup, etc etc etc) but really only HSS is whats photographically missing.

Compared to cameras like the D90 and the D7000, the D5100 (and D5200) offer lower weight, and a flipscreen. Both of which are of much higher practical value that they might sound.

For what I shoot the D5100 doesn't do anything for me (I'm a birder). But I always recommend it to people that are buying their first dslr. They are so cheap now under 450 with kit lens refurbed it is almost a no brainer. I have 2 friends that recently got them and they love them. Yes they have limitations, but by the time most people hit the limitations they are ready to upgrade.

I sold my bridge camera and purchased the nikon d5100 a few months ago. No regrets so far. The camera is great in all aspects. You will get better performance as oppose to your bridge camera but be prepared to spend some extra money if you want it to do what your bridge camera did, especially if you like zoom lenses. But yeah go for the 5100 I don't regret it.

Most reactions

Back