Is older Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D still good lens?

I have the two ring, and I have a push-pull 35-70... The pushpull is awkward to handle at times.

Unless you have some special inside line on a pushpull for super cheap or from a friend or some such, for the little extra money, GET THE TWO RING. Still way cheaper than the AFS VR, and a great lens.

Thanks a lot for responses, and for helping the newbie.

I might do bit more searching and see what the prices are for two ring lenses.

In the meantime, if I find older one for good price, I'll just go for it.

The optics on the 80-200 push pull is comparable to the 70-200 vr1, and much better than any tamron or sigma, but not quite as good as the new vr2...

Focus speed is the main drawback to the old af lenses. That said an old af lens focuses a lot faster than a newer afs lens once the limited life focus motor burns out. ;)

I just bought a 70-210 F4. While a stop short of the 80-200 it seems to be a great piece of glass for less cash. I've read the focus is slow but on my F5 nothing is slow.

How much should I set my bar for older 80-200?
Just so I know if I see one for $400, or $500 if that is a good deal.
Or if I should pay no more than $350?

Martin, isn't f4 3 stops short of f/2.8?

How much should I set my bar for older 80-200?
Just so I know if I see one for $400, or $500 if that is a good deal.
Or if I should pay no more than $350?

Martin, isn't f4 3 stops short of f/2.8?

No. It's one full stop. Or three 1/3rds of a stop.

Not sure if you saw this, but tevo is selling his 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/331157-fs-nikon-af-s-ed-80-200-2-8d.html

No I have not seen it... I did not even wonder yet into that area of this forum. )))
The price he's asking is more than I want to spend now. I am hoping to find used one in $400 range for older model, or $500-600 range for newer model.

Just saw this. If you PM me I'm willing to adjust the price slightly. As of now it is still here so you've got time! Glass is an investment, and I prefer this lens to its successor the 70-200 VRI. The VRII is much better, but it is also $2400. Regardless, you are looking in the right area of lenses to buy. It took me far too long to realize that buying quality glass is monumentally important, more so than a camera body.

Yanno... I have the 80-200 2.8 ED in a two ring. Maybe he wants to buy mine? And I'll pick up your AFS?

I'm in NYC, so he could drop by and pick mine up in person.

I'm sending you both a PM.

Thank you guys! Is it safe to assume that for 80-200 range this older lens should provide better quality pictures than newer all-around 18-200?

I think this is a pretty good assumption, especially when you're talking about using the 18-200 in the same focal range, there should be no contest in terms of what you can do with a f/2.8 constant. If you're talking about sharpness, you won't be able to tell from a image on the web but the 80-200mm should be sharper no question.

Oh I forgot to mention that if you're buying the 80-200mm, the non AF-S version may not work with your camera body. And sorry if I missed any mention of your body in previous post(s). Just wanted to mention that in case.....

True. You have to have a "focus motor body" for the AF but non AFS lenses.

Most reactions

Back