Is photography hard?

It is as hard as you make it!

It really depends what challenges you take up :)

Bah....you took my reply. :lol::lol::lol:

I agree tho. It is only as hard as you want it to be. I do it for me, and nobody else, and make it fun, then it becomes easy.

lol... yes but the forum has been slow lately so I enjoyed Hertz's blithering rant better...

True!

If I had currently more time I would also try to help ...

I remember the time when I thought driving was hard. I had just learned how to drive, but nothing was automised as yet, I had to actively THINK about everything I had to do: the pedals, the gears, the indicator, absolutely EVERYTHING.

I've been driving for decades now, and do I still find it hard?
No way.
It's totally easy.
Everything goes all automatically now (inside me, my car is not an automatic), I need no longer think.

Therefore I believe that once you are thus familiar with the work tool you use (in this case the camera), you can focus (figuratively spoken) on other things such as your own style. And then it is not hard.

I enjoyed Hertz's blithering rant...

Humph! That was no rant. It was also a very succinct version. :lol:
I know most have a short attention span but, not being a politician, I still don't feel the need to write in sound bites :lmao:

...and I was bored.

Sometimes it IS a matter of snapping away (though not always) - but getting to the level where you CAN just "snap away" and come back with great results takes a lot of time and effort.

I'm thinking of fields such as wedding photography, sports or any other type of photojournalism where things are happening fast and you have to "snap away". But can anyone with no knowledge or experience pick up a camera and take consistant, professional results? No.

Is it difficult to learn photography? Not really, not if you're willing to put the time and effort into it. Certainly in comparison to something like nuclear physics, it's not difficult to learn. But it does take time and effort to develop the right skills.

Bah!

Good photography is EASY! As easy as breathing... underwater. lmao!!

When people ask that, I usually tell them a story about my uncle..

When he was young, he wanted to be an artist. specifically, he wanted to draw portraits. He was rather good in it, comparing to the rest of the family or other students he's been around... Untill he started college.

In St. Petersburg, he happened to get a one pretty famous professor who was teaching basics of portrait drawing. Overall class was about 250 people. The year my uncle failed that class, there were more people to graduate then usual - 10.

He though he was going strong, but the last test they had was to define whether person fails or passes. The assignment was simple - draw a face (duh).

My uncle worked for several hours creating the portrait, and many people said that it was great. He drew it using all the styles/tricks/ways the professor had taught.

When he was done, he showed the work to professor. Professor who turned around, looked at it, and asked if my uncle was done with the drawing. My uncle said that he is. Then, professor said "you're no artist, you are a cartoonist". My uncle did not understand the response first, and professor added "you failed". Then, the professor walked up to the same portrait, grabbed the pencil and drew 4-5 lines around eyes and lips.

Portrait, instantly, became three dimensional, living.. nearly breathing.

Whats the point of the story?

The point is that one can be a picture snapper, but there is so much more to photography to become a photographer.
I've learned so much since i've joined the forum, and I still feel like I know nothing...

It's like anything else. One you understand the basics it isn't hard but to get really good is very difficult. I learned to play tennis one day but didn't want to put in the effort or time to get good at it. Some people view photography that way. They want pictures of Maude in front of the pyramid and that's it and that's fine. That's easy.

SHooting is easy, getting what you want is hard alot of the times. Oh and I hurt my tigger finger so, now it is harder.

No I dont think photography is hard. It just takes alot of patience and understand how to use your equipment. When I first started i took crappy pictures but as time goes on I just get better at it. I am always ready on photography techniques from other people and incorperate it into my own techniques I have known and do my best. Also having a great photo editing software is great plus. Thats just my two cents.

photography is like running. everyone can run and its pretty easy to do, but not everyone can run in the olympics.

take that for what its worth

its not hard to press the trigger :)

it sure is harder the less money you have

I use another couple of forums, and a small discussion has arose on the difficulty of obtain a good shot - Person A claims its a case of "snapping away...its not rocket science" While person B says its much more than that.

There you go. Photography is a huge area of subject, and it can be different things to different folks. Technically I'd say it's pretty easy. Anyone who chooses to study and apply themselves should be able to figure it out. The difficulty of creating interesting images remains the same today as it was when photography was invented.

Last edited:
The one thing that I find hard in photography is photographers that evoke emotions. To me that's hard! How do you get that across I have no clue. Do you have to have an "eye" to do images like that.

Most reactions

Back