Is Photography still Enjoyable After Making a Living from it?

I used to be a photo journalist. I traveled a lot and shot every working day. I loved my work ... I loved the travel. When I went on vacation I stayed home and didn't touch a camera.

I left news because even in news things were becoming reduntant ... ho hum another Super Bowl ... the Pope died again ... let the new kid shoot the Oscars ...

For more han a decade I walked away from photography. A few years ago I purchased a 20D ... the feel and response of the camera brought this wave of memories an upweling of emotions ... it was like seeing an old and dear friend.

I've never looked back ... photography is a part of my life again.

Gary

I was looking at some of your old B&W photos on your website, you do some really great work!

I think the main thing about professional photography is that you have to please the client, not yourself

Ideally, both will be pleased. I love what I do, and I love that I can make a living doing it. I think the key is to show (on your website, promotional materials, etc) exactly the kind of work you love to do, and you will attract exactly the clients that are right for you.
Someone I admire (a fellow photographer) said to me recently that ALL of your work should be your personal work. I couldn't agree more. :)

It depends on the person.

I love what I do for a living, have been doing it for over 25 years, however, I do not think I could go pro in photography. It has a special place in my life and I use it more as a balance (get away from work) thing.

I did do it professionally for a couple of gigs more for friends than anything else, but I did not make a career of it, nor do I ever plan to. For me, I think the moment something becomes a JOB, it becomes work and that adds a whole lot more to the issue than taking pictures. It takes way more than the ability to take pictures to be a successful BUSINESSMAN. You need the skills of:

- an experienced and accomplished professional photographer
- the expertise of a psychologist dealing with clients
- the abilities of a customer service expert
- the abilities of an accomplished public speaker
- the intensive completeness of a notary (contracts)
- the abilities of a highly experienced business person
- the abilities of a marketing expert (getting known)
- the abilities of a graphics design expert (branding and so on)
- the abilities of a paralegal or possibly a lawyer (copyright issues)
- the abilities of an IT technician (PPing, saving, preserving info)

... and many more things. You also should be aware that to become successful, you need a business plan, proper insurance, higher end equipment and on and on and on.

People are star-struck by the glamor of photography, and think that all they need to do to make it rich is to press the index finger of their right hand down on a button a few times.

How sadly wrong they are. This is basically why I am staying away from the professional side of it, and enjoying it to the Nth when and while I can.

Most reactions

Back