is putting pictures online a good idea?

the main problem with posting photos on the internet, is theres always ways around just about anything you can do to "protect" your image.

Definitely.
I am *far* from a PS pro, and this took me perhaps 3 minutes. For someone "less honest", and took their time, as you said, just about nothing can be done if they want your photo:

1.jpg

Chris, if your profile did not say that that it was ok to "edit" your pics, I would have never done the above. Give me the word, and the shot will be deleted.

I just wanted to show a fast example... nothing is safe. It's like car theft.. if they want your car, there is NOTHING anyone can do to stop them from getting it.

bottom line, if you fear having your images stolen, don't put them online...

Spot on. :thumbup:

I did not see anyone mention registering their pictures. If the photo is registered in the USA and the offender lives in the USA, legal action can be started... however, its a long and expensive road where it is not too often that the value of the photo is equal to court and legal costs.

(let me know if what I did was ok, please, Chris. :) )

(let me know if what I did was ok, please, Chris. :) )

not a problem at all jerry!!!... its always good to know how removable a watermark is... i dont consider mine "easy" to remove, but it certainly is possible... in looking at your edit, removing it makes the image look terrible, (his jacket is bumpy) and i know the river would look horrible... I frankly dont care if someone takes my pics, i consider it flattery.. that my image was good enough to take.. and its happened with some... i almost always find them...

if someone wants to spend the time on my watermark to remove it, that would it take to make it look good, i would probably applaud them for their work... I dont really use mine to protect.. i only use it on my smug mug client site... it gives it a feel of professionalism to me.. and my clients have said the same.

#1/ art(work) is meant to be shared. A superb photo should be on a wall or on the web.

#2/ ask anyone if they like to watch a picture with a watermark, I doubt you'll have many yes. It's a complete turn off, and I will personally move on from a website with fantastic pictures if they are watermarked. (rare exceptions). The art directors I work with are brutal about this...

#3/ the people who steal your pictures would not have paid for them at the first place

The ways I know of protecting your images are right-click protecting using html code, making them small or small resolution, watermarking, etc. However, if someone really wanted them, they can get them. Taking a screenshot is the one way I can think of that cannot be protected against. If they can see it on their screen, they can get it, but a lot of people don't know that so you can feel pretty safe if you use the methods I listed.

Many photographers vastly overrate the value and desirability of their photos and underrate their capability to do something about an infringement if and when it occurs.

Better safe then sorry...

I have had the same concern. I just recently started using smugmug. They allow for right click protection and allow you to password protect some galleries. plus there is no hassle with advertising when you want to send someone to view thier photos. It costs money to join, but the protection, layout, and unlimited storage pays for itself.

you get 5 dollars off if you use this coupon code bcSd7lEs74Stk. Good luck

Last edited:
#1/ art(work) is meant to be shared. A superb photo should be on a wall or on the web.

#2/ ask anyone if they like to watch a picture with a watermark, I doubt you'll have many yes. It's a complete turn off, and I will personally move on from a website with fantastic pictures if they are watermarked. (rare exceptions). The art directors I work with are brutal about this...

#3/ the people who steal your pictures would not have paid for them at the first place

I agree on all counts. Watermarks large enough to be effective destroy the images. If I have a portfolio on my page, and I link it to a photo editor, and it has watermarks all over it, I would consider them kind ifthey took the time to tell me I'm not what their looking for, instead of just ignoring me.

If I were a portrait client, and a photog sent me previews with watermarks all over them, and aked me which one I wanted an 8X10 of, I would laugh at them, and ask for clean copies to view.

I would rather have one person whowasn't going to buy anything steal a photo, then 10 people who would have bought something if they didn't look like crap.

I agree on all counts. Watermarks large enough to be effective destroy the images. If I have a portfolio on my page, and I link it to a photo editor, and it has watermarks all over it, I would consider them kind ifthey took the time to tell me I'm not what their looking for, instead of just ignoring me.

If I were a portrait client, and a photog sent me previews with watermarks all over them, and aked me which one I wanted an 8X10 of, I would laugh at them, and ask for clean copies to view.

I would rather have one person whowasn't going to buy anything steal a photo, then 10 people who would have bought something if they didn't look like crap.
So you're saying you want people to steal your crap photo's? Sorry my fault, I'm not sensing any logic here?

If you send a photo editor a link to a porfolio you deserve to be ignored. But that's salesmanship, not photography.

I like the iStockPhoto watermark - a small logo accompanied by two light lines slashed across the pic.

And hey, if someone likes your pics enough but doesn't want to buy the ones you've got, you can always take more pics.

Also read the Terms of Service on some sites. There are alot of the free sites that give themselves far too many rights to other peoples photos this includes many of the manufacturers sites. The pay sites are the safest like smugmug.

He's got a very good point here. Some sites prohibit ANY commercial work, others state that THEY actually own the images you upload, or can use your images for any purpose they so choose.

If you publish work on the internet you are concerned about being stolen, either A) don't, or B) register your image with the register of copyrights. Images can be done in bulk and its like $30 and make sure your image carries YOUR name and states copyright and the year or the little © symbol. Even if its not registered you still own the copyright.

Unregistered work is almost not worth pursuing in court, not because you don't own the copyright, but because you can't recover lawyer, court, and statutory fees.

As for hosting in general, the "safest" websites i've ever seen are flash based photo websites. EX: www.john-pennington.com (never mind the looks, its still a work in progress.) But that generally requires running your own website.

If you put a visible watermark with your data on the photos you publish, the problem would be solved. Even if someone will steal and publish your photos in their blogs, they will just do you a favor, as they will promote your art.

Most reactions

Back