Is shooting in "P" mode ok?

My old granny used to tell me that if you shot in P mode too much, you'd go blind, and/or grow hair on the palms of your hands! Does anybody know if that's true or not???

Dear Derrel,

Thank you for solving the mystery as to why my uncle is blind at 45, as well as why he shaves his palms.

Sincerely,
Joe

P.S.- Did she ever mention how to fix it?

When did I say that you have to shoot in full manual in order to be a good photographer? I was talking about learning how to photograph so please don't distort and twist my words.

If anyone is being an elitist here it is you, and your unnecessary attack on me for having an opinion on how learning manual first makes things easier.

Even with what you said, the only time manual isn't the way to go is when you do not need or want full creative control over the exposure. Next time don't attack someone who is actually adding constructive arguments to the conversation. :( it is not very nice and misguided.

I apologize for my post. I have a problem with manual snobs who think that manual is what real photographers use, and that if you use anything else, you aren't a photographer. My post still stands for them, but for you, please accept my sincere apology.

That said, I still have to completely disagree with the part of your quote that I boldfaced. Contrary to what people seem to think for some reason, you still have nearly full creative control using priority modes. You don't need manual for creative control. There are only 3 situations I use manual. 1) In situations where I'm certain the meter is going to get confused. And even in this situation, I can usually still use a priority mode to compensate (for example, over exposing by a stop in snow). 2) In situations where the exposure I want is more or less than 2 stops of what the meter says is correct. This is only because my camera won't do exposure compensation more than that. If my camera could do more, I wouldn't use manual. 3) When I'm shooting with flash.

People don't realize just how sophisticated their camera's computer and meter is. What purpose is there for basically throwing that out the window? Use the meter, trust the meter, learn what metering modes to use, and when. You will save yourself a lot of trouble.

I'm still learning about how to shoot in Manual..

Shooting in "P" mode all you have to change is ISO and the camera automatically does the f/stop and shutter speed. Is this better than shooting in Auto?
exactly yes~ even in P mode you can adjuest F/stop with a Canon. But I suggest you trying the Av/A mode, it's also convenient to use~

When did I say that you have to shoot in full manual in order to be a good photographer? I was talking about learning how to photograph so please don't distort and twist my words.

If anyone is being an elitist here it is you, and your unnecessary attack on me for having an opinion on how learning manual first makes things easier.

Even with what you said, the only time manual isn't the way to go is when you do not need or want full creative control over the exposure. Next time don't attack someone who is actually adding constructive arguments to the conversation. :( it is not very nice and misguided.

I apologize for my post. I have a problem with manual snobs who think that manual is what real photographers use, and that if you use anything else, you aren't a photographer. My post still stands for them, but for you, please accept my sincere apology.

That said, I still have to completely disagree with the part of your quote that I boldfaced. Contrary to what people seem to think for some reason, you still have nearly full creative control using priority modes. You don't need manual for creative control. There are only 3 situations I use manual. 1) In situations where I'm certain the meter is going to get confused. And even in this situation, I can usually still use a priority mode to compensate (for example, over exposing by a stop in snow). 2) In situations where the exposure I want is more or less than 2 stops of what the meter says is correct. This is only because my camera won't do exposure compensation more than that. If my camera could do more, I wouldn't use manual. 3) When I'm shooting with flash.

People don't realize just how sophisticated their camera's computer and meter is. What purpose is there for basically throwing that out the window? Use the meter, trust the meter, learn what metering modes to use, and when. You will save yourself a lot of trouble.

+1 This is how I operate and how I view the shooting modes in my camera body. Much of the time people shoot creatively with one key setting (they want a fast shutter speed or a slow shutter speed or they want a deep depth of field or a shallow one) and then balance their second and third settings of the ideal first setting they want - using the meter built into the camera body to ensure that the achieve the best possible exposure.

Working that way there is no difference with shooting in the priority modes or manual mode, save that in the priorities the camera adjusts one setting automatically for you - its faster and just as accurate as yourself. With exposure compensation you can even compensate for small changes to the exposure the camera suggests whilst keeping the fast reaction time.

P is for Professional...

That said, I still have to completely disagree with the part of your quote that I boldfaced. Contrary to what people seem to think for some reason, you still have nearly full creative control using priority modes.

Its all good bud! Part of it was my fault, after having read what I said I can see how you took it as that, especially the snapshot part. I was just trying to say that if your goal is to stay a hobbyist learning full manual is overkill. I wasn't saying that pros using priority modes are taking snapshots, or at least that wasn't the intent.

You just said exactly what I did though, it isn't full creative control. It is just damn near creative control. That is a huge gap to bridge in my world, where I'm being payed for my creativity to push an advertising campaign. I want to ensure that nothing is left to automation, since half the time it won't know what style or feeling I'm trying to achieve. If you're just trying to get evenly exposed images it has its uses, but I very rarely am looking for even exposure.

That is all I was trying to say :) I guess next time I just need to ensure to be more specific and not so "Joe Language" about it. (I have a bad habit of saying something and not explaining it, assuming others know what I mean)

I am using Canon 450D. With P mode i can also adjust the aperture and shutter speed by turning the small wheel near the shutter button.
So what is the difference from using AV mode or TV mode?

I am using Canon 450D. With P mode i can also adjust the aperture and shutter speed by turning the small wheel near the shutter button.

For you with that camera not very much with one exception.
Most lenses are sharpest at some middle aperture setting like f8, f11, it depends on the lens.
The biggest difference is I like to start out with my aperture set to the sharpest setting and vary it from there.

I start out with the aperture at a specific setting and if depth of field or a particular shutter speed isn't an issue I can just shoot.

In P mode you need to check and spin the dial every time.

When you shoot in P mode the camera does the following:

1) It meters the scene through the lens using its built in meter as normal.

2) It then takes into account the light it reads and the ISO that you have set and gives you 8 possible shutter and aperture combinations that you can select with the settings wheel.

Each of the 8 combinations will give you a correct exposure, but the final result can be very different visually. Try this yourself with a tripod and meter a static scene and then adjust the P mode settings to give you the different results.

The downside to this mode is that sometimes you want one setting to be your primary setting, to be your creative control. For example in a landscape or macro shot your aperture (depth of field) would be what you want specific control over - for an airoplane shoot (eg planes with propellers) you'll want control over your shutter speed to ensure that your shot is fast enough for the action, but slow enough to keep the blur on the propeller.

In these cases P mode can be a pain to use as you have to flick through te options each time the lighting changes - however if you use the priorities modes you can specify the exact aperture/shutter you want and the camera will meter and adjust the other to give a proper exposure. Experience though is a key thing as is having an idea of the shot you want to create - these things will help you choose what settings you want and which is your primary setting in the lighting.

P is for Professional...

Have you seen the Joe Buissink and Yervant seminar as well?

Well let me tell you a bit that I learned about I learned from that seminar. Joe Buissink, celebrity photographer, and master of wedding photography shoots in Program.
His portrait journalism approach is one of the best in the business, and he is up there in the ranks of Cantrell, Reggie, Scembrie and of course Yervant. But he shoots on Program mainly.

I think a lot of people have a very stiff attitude that you must shoot in a manual mode, but believe me, as a working photographer, Program has been one of my best rediscoveries. It has captured me some amazing candids. Ones I would not have been able to grab with manual and having to meter and change my exposure. Dont get me wrong, manual is great and I prefer working in it for control, but program is a tool to utilize. Not all the time, but camera manufactures wouldn't keep putting it in their cameras if it didn't serve some sort of purpose.

Its all good bud! Part of it was my fault, after having read what I said I can see how you took it as that, especially the snapshot part. I was just trying to say that if your goal is to stay a hobbyist learning full manual is overkill. I wasn't saying that pros using priority modes are taking snapshots, or at least that wasn't the intent.

You just said exactly what I did though, it isn't full creative control. It is just damn near creative control. That is a huge gap to bridge in my world, where I'm being payed for my creativity to push an advertising campaign. I want to ensure that nothing is left to automation, since half the time it won't know what style or feeling I'm trying to achieve. If you're just trying to get evenly exposed images it has its uses, but I very rarely am looking for even exposure.

That is all I was trying to say :) I guess next time I just need to ensure to be more specific and not so "Joe Language" about it. (I have a bad habit of saying something and not explaining it, assuming others know what I mean)

No worries! I understand completely where you're coming from. I may disagree, but in the end, it's the image that matters, not how we made it!

A- Addled
M- Mortified
P- Petrified
S- Stupified
Tv-Total victim
Av- Android victim

Don't be afraid of your camera...spin that dial and see where it lands!

To OP - if you're getting the results you want, if your images tell a compelling story then by all means it's good. If, however you want to increase the percentage of "keepers", then exploring the other modes will help you move to a place where you can better control how your images appear. Just remember, the more one knows, the more one realizes just how ignorant one is. More knowledge just helps you ask better questions...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back