Is the 24-70 worth upgrading to from the 24-105?

Excellent. Now I'm thinking of just keeping the 24-105 as well. For the $700 I'll get (minus e-bay fees and paypal fees), it's probably worth it to me to keep it if I'm ever in a "only one lens" situation, or want to shoot video.

Excellent. Now I'm thinking of just keeping the 24-105 as well. For the $700 I'll get (minus e-bay fees and paypal fees), it's probably worth it to me to keep it if I'm ever in a "only one lens" situation, or want to shoot video.

If you don't need the money I would keep it for now. It's not like its going to go down in value really. It's still a nice lens.

Aye the 24-105mm does have an edge for video work since it is one of the few DSLR zoom lenses that keeps its focal point fixed as you change the focal length. Others (including the 24-70mm MII and MI and the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII) will shift the focal point (sometimes a bit sometimes a lot) as the focal length changes.

For stills work this isn't a problem as you can just let auto focus refocus - for video where you are often using manual focus and where you might be zooming as you shoot you don't have the AF refocusing option (plus you don't want the AF to suddenly get caught hunting mid video).

It's here! I haven't had much time to use it, yet. It's a tad heavier than the 24-105, it's pretty noticeable while on the camera, but not terribly so. Seems very sharp from the test shots I've done in the house. Can't wait to get out there!

"I feel guilty for spending that much $$$ on one lens"

You'll learn to live with it.

Yup, after a day out with it and about 300 photos later, I'm definitely impressed.

Most reactions

Back