Is the 550ex speedlite any good

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted 1 flash that was hss compatable so bought this today. I would normally do more research but a quick google look and it seemed like a good option. I intend to mostly use it on a 1DS but maybe also on a 10d or 7d. Is it still a good option. Thanks

Yes, it should be a good flash for you. The 550EX will be compatible with any of those cameras.
Up until about 4-5 years ago, it was Canon's flagship flash model. Then it was replaced by the 580EX, then the 580EXII and now there is a 600EXRT.

I have a couple of them. Thats what I used for a while.

Well, I used them for a while. It does it's job. The quick mount and easier control on 580EX II is worth the extra $$. 550EX is hard to operate. You have to know what button to push and how long to press it. The 580EX II is very easy to understand. I dont think I had to read the manual. The buttons and the wheel just makes sense.

I have the 550EX for my T2i, and it's a great flash. It's the biggest in the Cannon family of flashes, but it has everything you could want. For me, choosing between dropping $150 on a used 550 vs $400 on a new 580 was a no brainer. They're both fantastic flashes.

Hickeydog said:
I have the 550EX for my T2i, and it's a great flash. It's the biggest in the Cannon family of flashes, but it has everything you could want. For me, choosing between dropping $150 on a used 550 vs $400 on a new 580 was a no brainer. They're both fantastic flashes.

Yea. Cannons are huge. ;)

Thanks all for the input, glad I bought it now but it will be a while before it arrives

Well, I used them for a while. It does it's job. The quick mount and easier control on 580EX II is worth the extra $$. 550EX is hard to operate. You have to know what button to push and how long to press it. The 580EX II is very easy to understand. I dont think I had to read the manual. The buttons and the wheel just makes sense.
I know a few photographers who liked the 580 (first version) better, mainly because it had a large switch for Master/Slave. With the 580EX II, you have to do it via buttons...and it's one of the 'hold down for a few seconds' things...which is annoying when you want to switch it from Master to Slave etc.

Although, on the grand scale of things, most users probably didn't use that feature much, so it makes more sense to do it that way, rather than with a big switch.

Most reactions

Back