Is the 60D a worthy upgrade to the 50D for someone not into video?

tw1tch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My local camera store can get me a 60D body only for around 1100. They can't get a 50D anymore since it's been discontinued. I would have to buy one new on Amazon, but I always prefer to buy local. I have no desire to use video, and that's one of the big selling points on the 60D. I am not a fan of the fact Canon changed the body back to a "plastic" on the 60D, as opposed to the more rugged 50D. Has anyone on here owned a 40D or 50D and made the switch to the 60D? I am trying to decide which one to get. I am leaning towards the 50D, but I am not 100%. I decided I don't want a t2i. Just putting that out there in case someone suggested one. Thanks!

I would get the 50D. I dont think the 60D has any more to offer over the 50D other than the 3 extra megapixels. You can compare them on Canons website as far as specs go.

edit: Oh and the flexible rear lcd(on the 60d) but Im not a fan of that.

Yeah, the lcd screen that can be moved does nothing for me, either.

I would get the 50D. I dont think the 60D has any more to offer over the 50D other than the 3 extra megapixels.

The 60D can shoot HD video, which is the biggest perk compared to the 50D. I don't care about video, so it's a moot point to me. I assume it's a seller to many other people, though.

I would go 50D also. Frankly I wish my 7D didn't have video and maybe some other features instead ( or a full framed sensor ). I love the rugged body, the plastic would be a killer for me also, might as well just buy a T2i. Who needs a flippy screen, I have done just fine without them so far.

It's eithet 50D or plunk down the big money for a 7D. I will have to decide by this weekend. Need one next week!

It's eithet 50D or plunk down the big money for a 7D. I will have to decide by this weekend. Need one next week!

Depends what you shoot. I find the improved AF to be worth it alone. Once you count the higher MP, better high ISO, 7FPS, and wireless flash, it blows the 50D out of the water. BUT, if you don't need any of that stuff, the 50D is a great camera, don't buy just based on the MP count.

I own both and it's the little differences that make the 7D better: the LCD viewfinder, more AF modes, extra stop and a half usable ISO, slightly faster burst, etc. If you have the money, it's better than the 50D in just about every measurable way, but the 50D is still good in its own right. Video aside, I feel both these cameras are better than the 60D.

I own both and it's the little differences that make the 7D better: the LCD viewfinder, more AF modes, extra stop and a half usable ISO, slightly faster burst, etc. If you have the money, it's better than the 50D in just about every measurable way, but the 50D is still good in its own right. Video aside, I feel both these cameras are better than the 60D.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the 100% viewfinder which, while not a neccessity, is very sweet.

I love cameras with Hinged Image Viewer (HIV) which I have been waiting for years in Cannon. I don't understand why pro and serious photographers equate it as:
A wide angle is better than a normal angle yet an all angle is not any better than a wide angle.;)

don't forget the 60d also has the same metering system as the 7d which is supposed to be a big improvement over what was in the likes of the 50d.

don't forget the 60d also has the same metering system as the 7d which is supposed to be a big improvement over what was in the likes of the 50d.

They are similar not exact. Same with metering. Right?

Have you looked at other alternative? Pentax k5 or Nikon 7000 are both in that price range and both offer much more than the 60D.

I love cameras with Hinged Image Viewer (HIV) which I have been waiting for years in Cannon. I don't understand why pro and serious photographers equate it as:
A wide angle is better than a normal angle yet an all angle is not any better than a wide angle.;)

Because, unless you shoot a lot of low to the ground shots like macros, or are routinely shooting over the top of things like crowds, its essentially a useless gimmick. It wouldn't be terrible to have, but you aren't going to sell me on a camera by adding it. If they threw it on all of their cameras, I wouldn't complain, just not going to sway me to purchase the 60D over a better camera without a Flippy screen. I don't think anyone is crushing the feature, just stating that its a weak selling point.

Most reactions

Back