Is the camera bad if the battery life is short?

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to shoot Nikon D7000 and I rarely remember I need to charge my battery. The battery life is definitely as good as advertised. However I feel my new D810 battery is short after shorting several hundred pictures, Comparing to D7000. So I tested yesterday, shot 350 shots in the studio with strobe remote control on camera and an Eyefi mobi card, though I turned off the Eyefi card to transfer to my computer pretty soon after I started. Nikon claims it can shoot 1200 picture. Is my camera defected? I am concerned because I heard somebody before had a nikon camera maybe d5300 can only shoot couple of hundred shots per charge, he sent the camera to nikon and confirmed it was the camera problem.
Anyone of you familiar with this situation? Is my camera bad ?

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
try shooting without EyeFi and Strobe remote control and see how many shots you get then.
Also, in my experience, batteries have less power capacity when new and need some recharging cycles to reach their optimum.

EIngerson

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Rechargeable batteries will start to faultier after time. It's just how it is. If it's not that old of a battery and the power output is still tolerable keep using it and start saving up for a couple replacement batteries. 3rd party batteries will typically fizzle out in shorter time than OEM batteries.

Like Lew said though. disabling useless settings will prolong battery life too. Good luck.

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Photos OK to edit
First, I can't comment on your specific battery. Yep, there are bad versions or lemons that come out, off-brand versions sometimes aren't as good as the brand version. But battery life is not an indictment of a DSLR body.

Second, it may have more to do with how you're using the battery. Using a popup flash (even as a commander), shooting longer exposures, shooting at night, colder weather....all of those will produce a battery that shows a quick drain.

hamlet

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You know those belts with the Bullet holsters? I got one of those, except it is for all of my dslr batteries. I just hate it when my power runs out when i'm out on the field.

OP
julianliu

julianliu

Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Photos OK to edit
You know those belts with the Bullet holsters? I got one of those, except it is for all of my dslr batteries. I just hate it when my power runs out when i'm out on the field.

Does your camera take as many picture as the factory advertised ? Mine is far less than that.

hamlet

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Haven't noticed anything out the ordinary. Still runs like when i first bought it.

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Photos OK to edit
I would suspect the battery and charger first.

You can do some things to extent your battery life.
• have the light meter turn off ASAP (see Custom Settings menu c2)
• Monitor off delay (see Custom Settings menu c4)
• make sure the AF-Assist is off. (see Custom Settings menu a10)
• If the lens has VR, turn off VR if you don't need it.
• turn off the Control Panel LCD backlight.(see Custom Settings menu d11)

From Niknon USA's web site - Battery Life (shots per charge) -1,200 shots (CIPA) - http://www.cipa.jp/camera/dc-std/battery_e.htm

1,200 shots is the maximum and battery life is temperature dependent.

Last edited:
OP
julianliu

julianliu

Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Photos OK to edit
I would suspect the battery and charger first. You can do some things to extent your battery life. • have the light meter turn off ASAP (see Custom Settings menu c2) • Monitor off delay (see Custom Settings menu c4) • make sure the AF-Assist is off. (see Custom Settings menu a10) • If the lens has VR, turn off VR if you don't need it. • turn off the Control Panel LCD backlight.(see Custom Settings menu d11) From Niknon USA's web site - Battery Life (shots per charge) -1,200 shots (CIPA) - http://www.cipa.jp/camera/dc-std/battery_e.htm 1,200 shots is the maximum and battery life is temperature dependent.

Thanks! I will make sure setting are right before the test!

Most reactions

ClickASnap