Is the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS THAT good?

Chairman7w

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys - I'm gonna have about $2K to spend in a coupla months, and I'm *really* thinking about picking up the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS lens.

OR - I'm ALSO considering just getting a Sigma (or Tamron) 70-200mm 2.8 lens, and having about a grand to spend on other stuff along with it (maybe a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8).

You can see in my sig below what I currently have.

So, my question is, is the Canon THAT good that it's really worth it, or would I really notice the difference in my final pics? Rrgghhhh.. Been struggling with this.

Let me know your opinions - thanks guys.

Awesome - just what the doctor ordered!!! Thanks Overread! (going off to do some reading!)

If it's anything like the Nikon 70-200, it will hurt like hell to lay down that kind of money. But, once you have it, I can almost guarantee you will not regret it.

Buy the Canon lens. The other brands are good alternatives if you do nto have the money for the Canon. If you have the $$$, get the Canon. The quality of that lens is amazing. It will last longer, provide better images, and hold a better value than the Sigma or Tamron.

Just buy the 70-200mmL IS, it's only $1500. CANON REBATE!

Hi guys - I'm gonna have about $2K to spend in a coupla months, and I'm *really* thinking about picking up the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS lens.

OR - I'm ALSO considering just getting a Sigma (or Tamron) 70-200mm 2.8 lens, and having about a grand to spend on other stuff along with it (maybe a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8).

You can see in my sig below what I currently have.

So, my question is, is the Canon THAT good that it's really worth it, or would I really notice the difference in my final pics? Rrgghhhh.. Been struggling with this.

Let me know your opinions - thanks guys.

There is Lamborghini and there is Lexus. If you had the money to spend for either one, which would you choose?

wow I like that test they did... the 100-400 seems like a MUCH better lens if you need a lot of zoom tho. Really great article

Here's my reasoning for you.

Most people will fall into 2 different categories of photographers.
1) This person buys the gear, shoots for a while, decides they either don't like photography or needs money and then sells their gear.

2) This person is in it for the long haul. They buy gear over time and continue to shoot for years or for life.

The 70-200 F2.8L IS vs the tamron or sigma for both of these photographers.:
1) The Canon lens will hold its value and allow you to get a lot of your money back. Especially at times when the rebates are going.

2) The Canon lens is made better and will last you for a VERY long time. This allows you to transfer it form body to body s you upgrade your cameras. It's also very rugged and can stand up to years of use.

Anyway, that's why I tend to go for the Canon L glass. It's a farily safe spend when it comes to camea gear.

Last edited:
Most people I see that have bout the tamron or sigma 70-200 had problems with the lens and ended up with the canon in the end. Some people I know had dust end up in the tamron and sigma and had the paint chip off. Now these were also professional photographers and would use the lens everyday putting through its passes. However I don't have quite enough money to get the canon but do have enough for the tamron 70-200. I know though in a couple of months i will have enough for the canon so just save your money and go canon... hope this help....

Remember, the canon rebates go through July. I bought mine from thie seller on EBay. I have bought a few lenses from them and they are very good.

NEW!! Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM Zoom SHIPS FREE - eBay (item 170327545020 end time May-31-09 12:51:23 PDT)

They have the 70-200 F2.8L IS for $1557 right now with the rebate program. Use Windows Live Cashback through Ebay and get 8% off. If my math is right, that gets you that lens for $1432 shipped. That's an AWESOME price.

Keep an eye on the abay store prices for a few weeks. The rebates go through July 11th. You may see them at $1499 shipped fromthe store and then you can knock off the 8% and get it even cheaper.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. I think I'll just not screw around, and just get the Canon. No regrets with that, that's for sure.

THanks again!

Most reactions

Back