Is the D300 really much better than the D90?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In side by side comparisons that I have seen, it appears that the D90 really keeps up with the D300 in nearly every sense, and in some cases even exceeds the images put out by the D300.

So, why upgrade from the D90 to a D300? Would that be a worthwhile upgrade?

I'm guessing build, AF, and FPS?

I love my D300 and it is my first goto camera for location but if you have a D90 I do not think you will see so much of a difference for the money.....wait and see what the new D7100 brings on.

The sensor is the same I think.. what's better is the body/controls/viewfinder/focus points/faster af/weather sealed, etc.

I was going to upgrade, but I don't think the jump to a 300 would be that huge. The d7100 is looking like it might be worth it though.

I was going to upgrade, but I don't think the jump to a 300 would be that huge. The d7100 is looking like it might be worth it though.

That's what I was thinking....why go backwards when you can move forward? ;)

I went d90 to d300 last summer and it was a huge upgrade for me, but I am a bird guy. I needed the 8 FPS, the way faster and more accurate AF, the 20ish shot raw buffer, dedicated AF-on and the direct controls of metering and focus group. The tank like qualities have been very beneficial crawling on rocks and tripping on stumps.. Of course they are very specific to my needs. The d90 sensor is slightly tweaked and performs marginally, very marginally better. For most people, like 95% probably, there is no need to go d90 to d300 in my humble opinion... With all that said, the d7100 will have a great sensor, but falls short for my specific needs..

I have the D300 and absolutely love it. I will never go back to camera that doesn't have the build quality, fps, or AF robustness again. This is the reason why I could never "upgrade" to the D7100, D600 or D800... Ever.

It depends on what kind of photography you do... I have both the D90 and D300 and the D300 smokes the D90 for action shots. The biggest difference is the auto focus module. It is WAY faster and more accurate than the D90. The D300 shares the same 51 point (15 cross type) system as the D3... while IIRC the D90 uses a tweaked 11 point (1 cross type) system from the older D80.
If you do mainly landscape then a good 4/3 camera could probably smoke both the 90 and 300.

The biggest intangible factor though is the incredibly wonderful "feel" of the D300. Unless you've held one in your hands (let alone shoot with it) it's hard to explain. I don't think you'll find any D300 owner who would say they don't absolutely love the feel and ergonomics of their camera. I see a few other posters have already proved this point lol. :D

I have the D300 and absolutely love it. I will never go back to camera that doesn't have the build quality, fps, or AF robustness again. This is the reason why I could never "upgrade" to the D7100, D600 or D800... Ever.

i rented a d800 to try it and it felt like a pretty damn solid camera to me.

i rented a d800 to try it and it felt like a pretty damn solid camera to me.

I agree, also the af system was fast and sharp couldn't ask for more. It's an excellent camera.

The D800 is great for landscape, architectural and portrait work, but is not very good for sports. Therefore I would not get it.

Most reactions

Back