Is the D70 better than my D3200?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's so great about the D70? Snapsort gives it 23 and my D3200 70something, but I'm just wondering, I like my D3200 and really have no intention of getting the D70 unless there's something really great about it. I noticed it has the monochrome screen on top which of course my D3200 doesn't have. Isn't the D70 considered some type of "pro" model or something?

Which would take better pictures, my D3200 or the D70?

Relatively new to photograhy,

Last edited:
picture quality would be the same.
you can look the features 70D got in google

The D70 is an old body, but it's highly rated because it did have a few higher-end features including the top-mounted LCD, a 1/500 sec flash sync speed, and good build quality for its price-point. That said, in many respects including high-ISO performance and sensor resolution, you'd be stepping backward going to a D70.

And the internal focus motor and 2 wheels.
But,as tirediron says,iso and sensor is behind the D3200.
Incidentally,the 1/500 flash sync is for the on board and mounted flash unit.
You can trigger off camera flash at any speed with the D70.

the D70's modern equivalent is the D7100

What's so great about the D70? Snapsort gives it 23 and my D3200 7something, but I'm just wondering, I like my D3200 and really have no intention of getting the D70 unless there's something really great about it. I noticed it has the monochrome screen on top which of course my D3200 doesn't have. Isn't the D70 considered some type of "pro" model or something?

Which would take better pictures, my D3200 or the D70?

Relatively new to photograhy,
Okay, you're comparing two different generations here. Which means the rating the D70 got when it came out should be high--b/c the D70 was one of the best prosumer models out there. It had unlimited sync speeds (something you really see in pro bodies). It has a reliable build. It was a great buy for the price. And unlike your D3200, it has an AF motor in the body.

That said, the D3200 is a newer camera with better technology. If I had small hands or needed a lighter or smaller camera, I'd go with the D3200 hands down. Or wanted more megapixels (b/c I was going to blow up pictures). Or better low-light performance (the D70's big weakness was low light), I'd go with the D3200. Bottom line: which one is the "better" camera depends upon how you measure "better."

You know what the best camera is? The one you have with you. Don't get hung up on ratings and comparisons. No matter what camera you buy, there will always be something out there that is newer, more recent, more technology. What you want is a camera that does what you want it to do AND....is with you. Can't take pictures if the camera isn't with you. Everything else about which one is better or best is just debate.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful, I'm very happy with my D3200! Plus, my Mom bought it for me for Xmas, so it's got some sentimental value also.

Most reactions

Back