Is the iPhone 7 camera the end of DSLRs?

... you still haven't answered the important question ... do *YOU* think the iPhone will be better than *YOUR* DLSR for what *YOU* use it for?

No, I don't think the iPhone is better than my DSLR lol.
And thus the answer to your thread topic.

I see camera phones taking pics with great DOF, and software to blur out everything but the subject (oh wait, you already can since the Samsung 5). But will it offer the same blur as 9 curved aperture blades? Will anyone really notice ?

I can tell the difference between fake and real blur. It's quite obvious.

... you still haven't answered the important question ... do *YOU* think the iPhone will be better than *YOUR* DLSR for what *YOU* use it for?

No, I don't think the iPhone is better than my DSLR lol.
And thus the answer to your thread topic.

I see camera phones taking pics with great DOF, and software to blur out everything but the subject (oh wait, you already can since the Samsung 5). But will it offer the same blur as 9 curved aperture blades? Will anyone really notice ?

I can tell the difference between fake and real blur. It's quite obvious.
but most non-photogs can't. So for them, they now have a "professional cell phone that can kill a DSLR". Just look at instagram.

I know the difference between background blur and bokeh. Everyone wants bokeh. Bokehlicious. I mean..Nikon even made lenses with defocus control to change the way out of focus elements "bokeh" look.

But unfortunately...people confuse (myself included sometimes) background separation with bokeh. You can take a portrait with a fast 300mm 2.8 and completely make the background blurred out without any bokeh.

No you can't. Bokeh is the visible character of the background blur and is always present when background blur is present. Bokeh is not the blur itself. Bokeh is also not blurred highlights that reflect the shape of the lens aperture.

Joe

But Apple did use bokeh in their photo to represent their new shallow depth of field function.

Ok, I'm stupid. But this happens when you type "bokeh" in google image search bokeh - Google Search

Everyone is going to refer to that as bokeh whether it's right or not.

I see it all the time from comments on Flickr "oh nice bokeh" "Oh nice DOF" - When they say nice bokeh, they are referring to the "blurred highlights that reflect the shape of the lens aperture". But when they oh nice DOF, they are usually referring to the shallow depth of field whether it has "blurred highlights that reflect the shape of the lens aperture" or not.

So WHAT is the best overall term to use that represents the shallow depth of field that is created by the lens?
This is what I get when I type Bokeh into Google Search.

bo·keh
bōˈkā/
noun
PHOTOGRAPHY
  1. the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens.
    "a quick, visual survey of the foreground and background bokeh of a variety of lenses"

So that thing on the end of my arm is a hand?
No wonder people looked at me weird when I called it a foot.
Who knew?
Well try this. Sounds like you have Athletes Palm.
41yrPaCBZ%2BL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I honestly think phones today are equally decent, it all comes down to preference and price.

Some how I just don't see the iPhone Sport catching on.
iPhone Sport.jpg

The iPhone 7 will be announced tomorrow and everyone is raving about the new "dual lens" camera system that Apple has been developing which I guess is suppose to be just as good if not better than a DSLR or could it just simply be a gimmick? or could it be the end of DSLRs?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow...I'm scared :hopelessness:

Strikes me as a bit of a straw man to be honest. Of course the iphone7/7+ isn't going to replace your (or my) DSLR. That doesn't mean that it or any other smartphone isn't capable of taking decent photos.

Case in point, a good friend of mine who I shoot with in the lake district shot this with a smartphone and processed it on his phone with snapseed.

mark littlejohn on Twitter

Look through his timeline - he is a very very good photographer (won Take a View UK Landscape photographer of the Year a few years ago) and regularly takes and posts pics taken with his smartphone.

The iPhone 7 will be announced tomorrow and everyone is raving about the new "dual lens" camera system that Apple has been developing which I guess is suppose to be just as good if not better than a DSLR or could it just simply be a gimmick? or could it be the end of DSLRs?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow...I'm scared :hopelessness:
It's just the usual rubbish Apple marketing rhetoric.

Is there some way I could get a dollar every time someone predicts the death of the SLR? Even a quarter would be pretty good ...

I saw some reviews of the new iphone camera and some photos taken with it that the reviewers were raving about, they photos did not look very good to me. the images looked kind of soft and the bokeh was not that great IMO and stuff like that. plus you have very little optical zoom.

these things can not replace a DSLR, they may be nice for a pocket cameras to get some descent photos when all you have is your phone but well, they do not seem to be any match for a DSLR

I wonder how many Congolese slaves, men, women and children, it took to mine the Coltan that went into all the iPhone 7s that were sold today around the world.

Most reactions

Back