Is the photography industry analogous to the music industry?

1. It used to be that musicians could play instruments and some could even read music

I'm not sure how you can be a musician and not play an instrument. In the world of Rock, reading music has always been very rare. The overwhelming majority of rock musicians considered "Icons" can't/couldn't read music.

2. Today’s musicians (and their music) lack talent, creativity, originality, and quality

Subjective statement at best. If you can't quantify it, don't make a statement like this. This is personal opinion, nothing more. I would hardly call Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age, Widespread Panic, to name but a very few currently active bands, as lacking in talent, creativity, originality or quality.

3. There are many times more people making “music” these days with all of the computer software that’s out there

Do you have any idea what a 4 track machine cost in 1964? Or what a 12 or 24 track machine cost in the 70's or 80's? Tascam revolutionized home recording in the 80's with a 4 track all in one unit that utilized cassette tape for about $400. Recording technology has only gotten better and cheaper since, and all major recording studios (and film studios) utilize this newest, latest and greatest computer technology.

4. If you strip away music videos, dancers and the sampling of other musician’s music most musicians are exposed as talentless

Sounds like you're mostly referring to pop/rap/hip hop here. And... I agree. Always have.

5. The fans of this mediocre art form are oblivious to the lack of quality in the music

This has always been true of any type of pop music. Even in the 80's. My favorite quote from John Lydon (aka "Johnny Rotten"): If it's safe, and fits nicely into your record collection, it's probably crap.

6. It’s becoming harder to earn money because of all of the techno advances that allow a mediocre artist to make music without having real skills

It's never been easy to make money in music, irregardless of how skilled you are. Ditto photography. For every truly gifted musician/photographer who "makes it", there are tens of thousand who are at least as good, who don't. Roll of the dice, plain and simple. Always has been, always will be.

7. The marketing of the music is making it harder for the artist to earn money

Labels and managers have always screwed the artist. They make their money off of touring and royalties, not record sales.

I’m still listening to and preferring music from the 80’s and still using cameras from the 80’s and 90’s.

And how many of those bands still have active major label contracts? Most of them play "Club Holiday Inn", or play together in these has beens of rock tours that are so popular every summer. If you look to MTV or the radio as your "proof" that there isn't any good music today, all I can say is the radio has never been anything more than a source for what the record labels are pushing, and MTV is simply pushing the flavor of the month. Even the best bands of your cherished 80's were seldom heard on the radio or seen on MTV. IMHO, you seem to be like most people, i.e., the music you grew up with is the best, everything before or after is junk. I listen to music from the 1700's all the way up to today. There is both excellent and garbage in all eras of music. Just gotta know where to look.

Most reactions

Back