is the problem my camera or development?

jamwahk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have recently bought a Contaflex 35mm. The first roll developed has a line across every photo (see pictures). I assume this is a problem with the camera itself, and not in the development process. Anyone know which one it may be, and what I should do?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c02.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c02.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 222
  • thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 223
Probably light seals at bottom of door. Gaffer tape or replace the seals.

No light seals on a Contaflex! Light seals are a Japanese idiocy - the Germans relied on good engineering.
Still a light leak, though. My guess would be the secondary shutter by the film gate is either not closing properly or is mis-timing its movement.

No light seals on a Contaflex! Light seals are a Japanese idiocy - the Germans relied on good engineering.
Still a light leak, though. My guess would be the secondary shutter by the film gate is either not closing properly or is mis-timing its movement.
Sorta like it's getting hung up on something.

Ahhh. I see. I noticed that when I went to look for a seal. So it isn't as easy of a task to simply fix. I am learning that Contaflex cameras are difficult like this sometimes. Thank you for your insights.

Ahh, makes sense

When the camera's empty with the back open, do you see anything when you release the shutter and advance imaginary film thru it? Just wondering if it's feeding film properly or if it might be the shutter.

I have a Contaflex. It jammed, and some time later when I got it out again it had unjammed itself; I think tension released over time. They're supposedly temperamental, I got mine at an area camera store going out of business but haven't tried using it in a long time.

I've found with old cameras they work better on medium to fast shutter speeds. Trying a slow speed usually results in the camera just sitting there stuck, or the timer slowly winding down and maybe or maybe not actually taking a picture. I can usually hear if it sounds like it's firing fairly quickly or not although I can't tell how close it is to accurate shutter speed. I assume it probably isn't all that accurate so I usually bracket shots.

Most reactions

Back