Is there a cheaper option?

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at getting the Canon Speedlite 430EX II, but I was also hoping to find a more affordable, compatable option. An off brand maybe? Anyone know anything?

I almost bought chinese made flash but then I decided to buy a used 550EX instead for $240 of Craigslist. You should look on CL.

I don't even know how to function in CL. :lmao:

Is there a difference in a clouded dome diffuser and a not clouded one? Is the dome better than the mini softbox?... than the regular like silicone one?

SO many questions!

I joined CL and looked and there is nothing in my two surrounding states that resembles a hotshoe flash... (to the best of my knowledge, I am limited on my CL knowledge)

I saw one on CL the other day in the DFW area. You just have to look daily.

I'm actually starting to look for a hotshoe flash as well. I'd suggest looking into previous models (discontinued, but should save you money and give you some leverage if you were to say find one on craigslist.)

For instance Instead of the 430EX II, look at the 430EX or the 420EX.

I'm actually starting to look for a hotshoe flash as well. I'd suggest looking into previous models (discontinued, but should save you money and give you some leverage if you were to say find one on craigslist.)

This is a good option. If you want to go with something new, there are cheaper off-brand alternatives like Yongnuo YN-468 which can be had for about $100 on eBay. Powerful, has E-TTL and will work fine with your XS.

IMO pay once and get good stuff. But there's a website if you google strobist. It's geared toward lots of DIY stuff and cheaper alternatives.

This is a good option. If you want to go with something new, there are cheaper off-brand alternatives like Yongnuo YN-468 which can be had for about $100 on eBay. Powerful, has E-TTL and will work fine with your XS.

I have both the YN-465 and the YN-468 and I have no complaints, they both work with E-TTL, together they cost about $200US and they do everything I have thrown at them.

I have no idea what the difference is at the end of the day having not used a brand named flash, but as far as I can tell the only difference could possibly be build quality overall perhaps and not as powerful at full setting?

The YN-468 is 1/3rd the price of a 430EX II for me, and I could afford 2 cheaper alternatives for my off camera work.

I got the 430ex and it is great. Ive used the 430ex II also. I couldnt tell much of a difference.

What do you mean manual settings? That scares me...:lmao:

Just like shooting in full manual with regards to shutter speed and aperture, you would have to tell the flash how much "power" (its actually duration of the flash output) to output, ie: with a strobe comaptible with E-TTL the camera tells the flash what to do, based on preflash etc, if its not compatible you would have to decide what power setting to use.

I use manual flash settings more than I do E-TTL becuase most of my use of flash is off camera and E-TTL doesnt work off camera, at least not with the gear I have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back