Is there a difference between Canon and Nikon when taking sunset photos?

in2thewild

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While in Turkey last year, the photographer hired by the hotel sold hundreds of sunset photos every day. He used the Nikon 810. Don't know what lens he was using but he had a flash bracket and I was really impressed by his photos. The colours were warm and filed the entire frame of the photo. Of course, the sunset was particularly spectacular there anyway.

He said Canon can't capture the same colours or warmth. Is this true? What's the difference between Nikon and Canon when it comes to capturing warmth or colour range ( I know there's a technical term for this!).

Thanks

Here is an article that compares/contrasts the two: Personal Style: Is Your Camera Determining Yours?

Author suggest that the auto WB on the canon and nikon are way different. Her conclusion: canon is set up to be warmer.

Of course, lenses come into play as well...

just shoot raw and then the inherent WB differences in the way the camera renders its jpeg images becomes irrelevant.

While in Turkey last year, the photographer hired by the hotel sold hundreds of sunset photos every day. He used the Nikon 810. Don't know what lens he was using but he had a flash bracket and I was really impressed by his photos. The colours were warm and filed the entire frame of the photo. Of course, the sunset was particularly spectacular there anyway.

He said Canon can't capture the same colours or warmth. Is this true? What's the difference between Nikon and Canon when it comes to capturing warmth or colour range ( I know there's a technical term for this!).

Thanks

Current Nikon stuff has a better dynamic range and can be pushed more in editing, and I suspect the differences are down to
that thing more then anything else - the editing. Send one of your raw files to the Nikon guy and let him edit the shot for you. :)

There's also differences in how different lenses render colors and contrast, I hate my Tamron 17-50 in that respect for example,
but love the Sigma 70-200.

Some more food for thought:

Are Nikon DSLR sensors actually better than Canon's?

Nikon vs Canon Dynamic Range

There are other factors at play here, namely; the lenses, the firmware, post-capture editing, and in the case of the comparison article that was linked, the respective "age" of the two cameras compared.

Each manufacturer installs their own firmware, which is where one sees the image on the LCD, and this is probably where most of the variation between brands is most noticeable.

If you shoot in RAW, and do your editing on a calibrated display, you should be able to emulate the colors as you wish.

That photographer didn't know what he was talking about he is just like all the Nikon fanboys on here

Yes. All different makes of camera will render the sunset slightly different

The D810 is probably one of the best cameras to do landscape, it was made for this type of photography it its got loads of dynamic range.
Never the less Canon too is more then capable to produce exscellent warm results.
I agree each model will have some differences and Nikon in general use Sony sensor which has more dynamic range but at the end of day with a capable photographer and good post processing skills you can get amazing results with both Nikon and Canon.

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing
When a print is made, what colors that can be printed depend on what file type, color space, and print device the print is made from/on.
Digital cameras, regardless of brand, can record more colors than human eyes can see.

A simple home printer has 4 ink colors - cyan, magenta, yellow, and black (CMYK), and is limited in how many colors it can print.
High end wide gamut printers have 12 or more ink colors and can print many more colors.
Prints made from high end wide gamut printers should be in the ProPhoto RGB color space and should be printed from a 16-bit color depth file type - like TIFF.

If the print is made from a JPEG/sRGB file the print is limited to the 8-bit color depth or only 256 tones of color per color channel.
The sRGB color space has the smallest print color gamut.
The Adobe RGB color space has a somewhat larger color gamut than sRGB but if the file is a JPEG file type is still limited to an 8-bit color depth.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back