Is there a mix as needed developer with long shelf life.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems that several weeks or months go by between my opportunity to develop films. So I am curious if there is a developer that can be stored and mixed as needed.

I have been working with Arista 200 b&w in 4x5 format. My developing tank uses 55 oz. for 1 or 12 sheets. I usually do about 6 sheets.

I am using D 76 developer but looking for options.

HC-110 if it's still available.

Joe

+1 for HC110 in it's concentrate *syrup* form. It keeps for at least a year in an opened bottle as long as you replace the lid... ;)

I use a syringe to mix it with one litre of water in either 1+31 or 1+63 (32ml and 16ml respectively).

The actual difference between commercially available developers is really quite small and more than offset by scanning/digitalising with the subsequent processing/sharpening, and exposure/developing technique. To gain any advantage of one developer over another requires quite a refined workflow. So I don't bother chasing that small difference to define my images, preferring instead to learn how to manipulate one specific developer.

I used to use Agfa Rodinal. Lasts for YEARS.
I think someone makes and sells a replacement.

I used an Illford liquid developer at the local community college.
Like HC110 and Rodinal, we mixed just enough for a single tank (16 oz) at a time.

Instead of worrying about shelf life, I simply store my exposed film until I have enough to soup it all at once. Make up the chemicals, develop & print, then clean up and wait for the next big batch of film to be ready.

Most developers that come in wet form such as HC-110 can be mixed as needed. You can also mix dry developers from scratch as needed. For example, D23 is very similar to D76 and only requires 2 ingredients plus water.

HC-110 is my preferred b&w developer. Agfa Rodinal is another highly concentrated developer which keeps for a long time

Most reactions

New Topics

Back